1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

whatsapp - security and privacy issues

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by HecklerUK, Jan 2, 2012.

1. HecklerUK

HecklerUK Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    A friend has just recommended I install whatsapp so we can chat/message for free using the data plan.

As I'm cautious and don't just install stuff when a non technically competent friend suggests it... I checked it out.

What I found was a little shocking... for something that is supposed to be one of the top apps.

All messages are recorded in a sqllite db file on the phone, and if gps is enabled the location is also recorded.

Even if you delete conversations, the data is still retained in this database.

But the worst part... everything, and I do mean everything... is sent over the network with no encryption at all.

This is a nightmare for anyone who takes privacy seriously and I can't recommend it to anyone based on that... in fact I'd encourage people to delete the app completely.

So... is there an app that does the same thing, but uses encryption and offers some privacy.

Advertisement

2. Gekko

Gekko Android Expert
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
  3. HecklerUK

HecklerUK Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    mightytext (Formerly Texty) seems to be a web browser based thing... not looked into it in any depth, but an initial search didn't pull up any major security concerns. Their privacy is pretty standard stuff... we log your data and can sell on information about you to 'trusted' 3rd parties and so forth... But it doesn't specify in detail exactly what data, instead it's rather vague about it.

I do want something, I'm PAYG and since getting the new phone my txt use has rocketed... I've spent more in the last 6 weeks than I did in the previous 12 months (coz I had a knackered old phone that barely worked)... and I can't afford to keep up this rate. :)

4. almorsol

almorsol Newbie
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Costa Rica
    They can see my conversations. I don't mind.
    They'll probably get bored...

5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I just read an article from AndroidPolice. WhatsApp knew for over a year about the lack of security with the app yet did nothing about it. Now there's an app on the market that allows you to intercept ANY WhatsApp conversation being held on a wifi network. This means if you're on a public WiFi, someone might be reading your messages!!!!

I'm debating if I should continue using WhatsApp. All of my friends use it and their friends, so it's easy and convenient.