1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

When 2.1 is released (officially) and you upgrade, will it wipe your phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ToxicToastKatz, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ToxicToastKatz

ToxicToastKatz Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Aurora, IL
    I wanted to use a shorter title for the thread, but I didn't want to draw the ire of the community for thinking that I was giving new info on 2.1 :)

In all seriousness though, with all the threads on 2.1 and related topics....WHEN it is finally officially released from HTC/Sprint and it is available to us, the Hero owners, to download and install on our units (most likely through PC/USB upgrading and not OTA....not that it matters for this question) will it wipe the phone?

The reason I am asking is because this is, in fact, a completely new OS and not just an MR patch. I have posed this very question to HTC tech support when asking about another issue and they said that it will not wipe info/settings/etc from the phone. I don't know what to think about that.

With my last WinMo phone, when the Sprint Rev A upgrade came out, it blew out everything from the phone and it was a fresh start. When I upgraded my iMac w/ Snow Leopard, it didn't change a thing. With that comparison, I guess I can believe both sides, however, I was curious if anyone on here has a definitive answer through experience that it wouldn't wipe all the info. Hasn't there been a few OS changes already with Android for the earlier phones? I'm sure there's info out there somewhere, but I was hoping to hear it from someone on here.

This is kind of a relevant question, because if it is going to require a complete wipe, I have absolutely no reason not to root, since I'd have to go back to stock RUU to get the upgrade, which would require a fresh wipe of the phone. I'll most likely still be rooting this week, however, I'm still curious about what the upgrade to 2.1 is going to require.

Advertisement

2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Student/Engineer
    Minnesota
    it's entirely possible, but you might just as well wait for the devs to get their custom 2.1's out

3. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I don't guess anyone knows at this point. Either way, I'll gladly do the update.

I would almost rather that it completely wipe everyihing and start over. I just think there's a lot less chance for errors and problems that way.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Nov 28, 2009
    +1

Just wait a few days after the update and ask us again and we'll be able to tell you.

5. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    I will speculate here.

To save Sprint from a customer service nightmare, no it will be in place upgrade with no loss of contacts/data.

It will probably happen the way our first MR did except it may not be OTA.

Tags: