• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help When adding a new playlist, can't find songs to add???

Montalvo

Feb 2, 2011
I transferred about 80 songs from my PC to my MyTouch 4G. All of the songs arrived safely and play perfectly on the phone. They show up when I click "Songs" on the MediaRoom/Music screen and are also found under two playlists: Recently Added and Most Played. But when I click Playlists/Menu/Add a Playlist, there are no songs shown on the Select Songs screen so I can't add any songs to my newly created playlist.

I noticed that even though there is artist and album information shown when I play each song, there is nothing listed under the Music/Albums or Music/Artists screens.

Is there something screwy about the MP3 files I downloaded? None have DRM and all have been taken from the AudioRequest music storage player in my house, where they have no problem.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

Thanks!

When I downloaded the songs from my PC, I put them in a file called My Documents/My Recordings. When I created a file in My Documents called "Songs" and dragged the songs there, they then appeared on the Select Songs screen for me to add to the new playlist. And they showed up in the Albums and Artists listing, too.

Where do they get off calling these "smart phones" when they can't figure out what I want to do without using just the right word??? Yeesh!

Upvote 0
Where do they get off calling these "smart phones" when they can't figure out what I want to do

Lol...smart phone doesn't mean psychic phone. i would suggest you do some research so you can get more familiar with how android, or smart phones in general, actually work. typically the normal sdcard folder structure for android is:

sdcard>media>music

or

sdcard>music

this will fix any issues you have with finding files. other folders in the media folder should be:

"ringtones," and "notifications"

Upvote 0
@behold_this, as a retired Silicon Valley veteran and former telecom company VP, I'm smart enough to know that computers have file protocols that dictate how data is processed and my tongue-in-cheek critique at the end of my last message was just that.

But that said, I can take exception to the quality of virtually ALL owner manual documentation for tech products. Irrespective of your tech background, manuals should allow you to readily self-solve 99.9% of all routine problems. It's nice that the PDF manual for the MyTouch facilitates search but it fails to address a plethora of common issues and fails to offer tips on simple and common practices that would make their product far easier to use (e.g., best way to launch Bluetooth with one click, since drivers in most states must do so while driving and talking).

When you've got a music player in a device, it's reasonable to expect that owners will download music from their PCs onto the device. Why wouldn't your manual tell them how to do that so as to avoid the frustration I encountered?

Upvote 0
I see...well you never know someone elses skill level, so thought I'd explain. Your frustration with the manual is understandable. It, in a word, sucks.

More towards your issue:
Other mp3 players on the market do a much better job, all around, compared to the stock one. For example, I use "

Upvote 0
Personally I don't like double twist for syncing. I just figure drag and drop on sdcard (in music folder) is easy and quick. Nice thing it does, though is build the folder structure for you automatically for convenience. The double twist player is pretty good but I figure if you don't sync with it why use the player. Over all I haven't played with it too much, though. Just not my cup of tea.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones