1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

When and how will communication technology stop?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by sullencab, Oct 5, 2020.

1. sullencab

sullencab Member

Technology has leaped so much in the last decades. I know there's a lot of movies and shows about how technology will be in the future, but how do you think will communication be in the future?

2. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Direct brain interface implants, interfacing with optic and auditory nerves (Olfactory, touch and speech too maybe) we'll al be effectively telepathic.

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I think we will revert back to "talking".

4. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

We sure will, when the grid collapses, the batteries die, or both!

MrJavi, tylis and Dannydet like this.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

[​IMG]

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Sooooo, you guys also know that if true, these theories would make us physically vulnerable to EMPs.

That is, unless someone (Russian, probably) is smart enough to employ old timey tube back up systems?

I am referring to their use in some modern Russian fighter jets, missle guidence, etc. explicitly for this reason.

#6 puppykickr, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    MrJavi likes this.
  7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Eventually, we will over-engineer our technology so it's smarter and more advanced than ourselves. Given our inbred nature to kill each other (war is part of all cultures), steal resources that belong to others (we have a tendency to think that we deserve everything), and have no respect for the planet we live on it's inevitable that humans will create our own dystopian future. Our population numbers will plummet as we refuse to live sustainable lifestyles, and those who do survive won't be most fit, the smartest, nor the most deserving -- they'll be the ones who know how to 'game the system'. So basically, it's Pixar's movie, "Wall-E." We will be gelatinous blobs who have to be cultivated and sustained. Our robots will be doing the work.
    Wall-E.jpg

8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I prefer Roddenberry's and Asimov's vision of the future over Disney's and Spielberg's.

Davdi, bcrichster and MrJavi like this.
  9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

And vulnerable to malware, buggy firmware updates and all the rest.

If you want to go darker, there is the line in one of Iain Banks' books where a ship with some macabre interests points out that the sort of interface you describe is also one the most powerful instrument of torture ever created.

MrJavi likes this.
  10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Have you read Snow Crash?

MrJavi likes this.
  11. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

12. JosephFraser

JosephFraser Lurker

we are not going to be alive a that time

13. Lol, I can't start to imagine this. It doesn't sound like living anymore.

I like the sound of that. I'm not complaining but at some point, technology may have gone a little too far. I'm sure it will still improve, whatever that means. However, I just hope that we wouldn't forget one of the reasons why there's an advancement in communication. I'm sure the people who started it wanted to keep us close to the people we're supposed to be with. Do I make sense? :D

MrJavi likes this.
  14. Trom

Trom Well-Known Member

Instant communication anywhere in the galaxy via quantum entanglement.

MrJavi likes this.
  15. Hadron

VIP Member

Speaking as a physicist, that doesn't work. What do you with one part of an entangled pair affects the state of the other, but not in a way that transfers information.

16. sullencab

sullencab Member

Thanks for all your response. Sounds like everything is instant now. It's very convenient but at some point people are unable to appreciate all the comfort we're having.

17. Trom

Trom Well-Known Member

Can spin be altered after an initial observation?

18. tylis

tylis Lurker

For some reason, I personally do not think we have to worry about human future too much, because I suspect we will have rendered our earth uninhabitable in a few more generations. Long live the Roach Nations :D

19. Hadron

VIP Member

Yes, it's possible to flip the spin of a particle. But you can't determine the result of the initial observation - it will be up or down with whatever probability the initial state would give - and once you have made that initial measurement the entanglement is broken, so anything you do to the spin afterwards will have no effect on the distant particle.

That's the problem: the distant observer cannot even know whether you have made a measurement of your particle, nor what direction you measured in. You could agree in advance when you would do this and what axis you would use, but that would only allow you to infer what the other person had seen (if you use the same axis, not even that if not). As far as communication goes that's like trying to send a message by flipping a coin and telling the other person which way it lands: since you can't control it it can't encode a message.

20. Trom

Trom Well-Known Member

Stuff like this is what annoys me about layperson books, they need to tell the whole story, rather than assume I'm we Todd Ed and can't wrap my head around reality. Perfect example, guy at work tells me some group at Harvard slowed the speed of light down to 38 mph, which is just dumb. But duck+ that, and you'll find story after story about that group slowing down the speed of light to 38 mph.