• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root When and where for S-off

i have done it twice now,the first time i got it on the 3rd try,the second time it took me several :eek:

i feel the directions may have been intentionally vauge to try and weed out some of the noobs that really shouldnt have been doing it. ;)

a long time ago i had set up the entire sdk and put it in my path,so i just ran control bear from my downloads folder :eek:

biggest prollems i had were with the GF whom was waiting (not so)patiently for me to finish(she hates being second to the phone ;))

Reactions: obscuro and chknhwk
Upvote 0
I did it ! I'm S-off. It helped to have the audio file that clicks every 1.75s. The good news is that I got back my system en toto ! (CleanROM 1.7.5 + Incredikernel Beta 3-1).

So I can load new ROMs more easily supposedly. I'd like to try the latest ICS leak. Guess I'll go find those instructions. Let the fun begin !

Congrats - welcome to the club. Happy flashing!

Upvote 0
I did it ! I'm S-off. It helped to have the audio file that clicks every 1.75s. The good news is that I got back my system en toto ! (CleanROM 1.7.5 + Incredikernel Beta 3-1).

So I can load new ROMs more easily supposedly. I'd like to try the latest ICS leak. Guess I'll go find those instructions. Let the fun begin !

awsome! glad to have you aboard.

just take note of the "do not unlock" sticky,if you care about retaining your newly "locked" status.

if you wish to keep stock hboots,you can install recoveries as PH98IMG files. its easy now,with s-off,the stupid android info document is irrelevant :D

if you wish to keep using fastboot flash and fastboot boot youll need to re-install the jpbear patched hboot every time that you run an ruu or something that overwrites your hboot. hboots are also easily installed a PH98IMG files.

dont worry,your s-off will remain,just the hboot itself is overwritten.

you can now easily restore nandroids,and flash roms that are set up to install kernels from a permanent recovery,without seperate kernel flashes :cool:

holler if you have questions :call:

Upvote 0
Scotty, I'm confused. You say I'm locked now even though I was unlocked when I was S-on?

And if so, I need to install the JuopunutBear hboot for GB in order to "simulate" being unlocked? I assume I would get that here: HBOOT Downloads | Unlimited.IO Or do I install the ICS HBOOT since I want to go to ICS (per the next paragraph)?

I want to install CleanROM 4.5 which requires the ROM zip file as well as the GB Firmware patch since I'm currently on GB. The process, I read, for that is to install the ROM immediately followed by the patch and then reboot.

Upvote 0
Scotty, I'm confused. You say I'm locked now even though I was unlocked when I was S-on?
that is correct,sir. one of the benefits of becoming s-off is that they worked turning the "lock status flag" back to locked,for warranty purposes. if you were to flash a stock hboot,youd find it to say locked,not unlocked or relocked.

if you care about this,do not re-unlock. just like s-on,you cant get back to locked- only relocked(unless you turn s-on,and then s-off again :eek:)

And if so, I need to install the JuopunutBear hboot for GB in order to "simulate" being unlocked? I assume I would get that here: HBOOT Downloads | Unlimited.IO Or do I install the ICS HBOOT since I want to go to ICS (per the next paragraph)?
if control bear did not install the jpbear hboot as part of the process,then yes,youll need to install it. or if you decide to upgrade your firmware,youll need to install it.

or,as i said,you can install a recovery as a PH98IMG file. its ultimately up to you and youre comfort level,wether youd rather install a new hboot to use familiar commands,or if youd rather just adapt your procedures so you can leave hboot alone.

personally,i dont have any factory warranty. so i just re-unlocked mine.i could care less if im relocked vs locked. the nice thing about this,is as i mentioned,the locked status doesnt change. since you no longer need to relock to run ruus,when i flash something that changes hboot,its just automatically unlocked. no matter what hboot i run,ir will be unlocked until i intentionally relock it.:cool: i just wanted to be clear about the situation,as alot of folks re-unlocked thinking they could get back to locked,wich is not the case. i dont know your feelings or situation,but to alot of folks,their hboot screen displaying locked is a huge deal.

I want to install CleanROM 4.5 which requires the ROM zip file as well as the GB Firmware patch since I'm currently on GB. The process, I read, for that is to install the ROM immediately followed by the patch and then reboot.

thats one way to skin the cat. i personally would just upgrade your firmware since youre s-off,and can always go back to GB firmware if you want to. you could either run the whole RUU,or you could install just the firmware,available from this thread: [HBOOT] Gingerbread and ICS Hboot/radio combos - xda-developers

DOWNLOAD 5/7 ICS LEAK stock 2.25 hboot: http://db.tt/4NhSq9qq
MD5: 30A9B40B3AACF63C115A421B2856D655

is what youd want to use. just make sure to double check that md5,since the download contains a new hboot. :)

Reactions: chknhwk and thornev
Upvote 0
Think I've got a catch 22. I want to install the GB JuopunutBear HBOOT, but the instructions say to use Fastboot commands which no longer work because I'm S-off. What am I missing?

On the other hand, I can't find any pictures of what that HBOOT looks like. My assumption is that it has commands with which I can do all sorts of fun stuff without using a PC (for other than putting files on my SD card).

Also, I renamed the AmonRa recovery to PH98IMG.zip, copied to my SD card, flashed it in HBOOT and of course HBOOT said it's in the wrong format. How do I flash the AmonRa recovery now that I'm s-off? Zip the .img file into a PH98IMG.zip file? Tried that - didn't work. PH98 was processed, but then I don't know how to run the AmonRa recovery.

Upvote 0
Think I've got a catch 22. I want to install the GB JuopunutBear HBOOT, but the instructions say to use Fastboot commands which no longer work because I'm S-off. What am I missing?

On the other hand, I can't find any pictures of what that HBOOT looks like. My assumption is that it has commands with which I can do all sorts of fun stuff without using a PC (for other than putting files on my SD card).

Also, I renamed the AmonRa recovery to PH98IMG.zip, copied to my SD card, flashed it in HBOOT and of course HBOOT said it's in the wrong format. How do I flash the AmonRa recovery now that I'm s-off? Zip the .img file into a PH98IMG.zip file?

correct. take the amon ra image,and zip it up along with the android info text document from literally anything.

the jpbear downloads are hboot-flashable PH98IMG files. you could,in fact,download the appropriate ICS jpbear hboot. unzip it. add amon recovery image to folder. zip the hboot,recovery,and android info document up. when you flash this zip in hboot,it will install your ics patched hboot,and your recovery at one time. 2 birds with one stone :D

hboot is the screen that you first boot to,when holding vol down and power,from a powered off state. it looks very similar to the fastboot screen that youre prolly a little more used to seeing.

edit:
if you dont want to bother moving files on and off your sd card,you can run the files from a cmd window,with the phone in fastboot. directions here: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/535820-how-easier-way-flash-ph98img-files.html

Upvote 0
I zipped up into a PH98IMG.zip file:

AmonRa v3.15
3.14 radio-only (radio.img and mdm9k.img)
android-info.txt (with who knows what in it)
jpBear ICS HBOOT (hboot_8x60-lte_2.21.0000_120311_MR2_signedbyaa.nb0)

Keeping in mind that I'm s-off and all GB (specifically CleanROM 1.7.5 + Incredikernel, 2.11 HBOOT), you're saying I can now flash that ZIP file and all those parts will install and work together?

Upvote 0
I zipped up into a PH98IMG.zip file:

AmonRa v3.15
3.14 radio-only (radio.img and mdm9k.img)
android-info.txt (with who knows what in it)
jpBear ICS HBOOT (hboot_8x60-lte_2.21.0000_120311_MR2_signedbyaa.nb0)

Keeping in mind that I'm s-off and all GB (specifically CleanROM 1.7.5 + Incredikernel, 2.11 HBOOT), you're saying I can now flash that ZIP file and all those parts will install and work together?

technically,yes,you can flash it,and prolly it will work. however,if you want to upgrade your firmware,i would use the download above so you get ALL the firmware. you may have some funky data issues if you only use the radios.

take the above download,verify the md5.
-repalce the recovery with amon
-replace hboot with jpbear ICS hboot (you verified md5 when you donwloaded,correct?)
-if you want to use a custom splash,you could throw that in as well :D

flash away :)

edit:
answer is based on the assumption that you want to then immediately try an ICS rom. the above firmware combo will work great with ICS,but is not compatible with GB unless you change some things.

Upvote 0
Scotty, Thanks so much for your personal attention and lengthy responses. I know I'm not alone when I say I wish you would let us compensate you somehow (with more than just pressing the THANKS button).

I'm hesitant to flash an ICS ROM only because I don't want to find out that my most-used apps don't work on ICS. Then I would have to restore my GB Nand backup, and could I do that given all the ICS stuff I would have already flashed? I don't think a Nand backup replaces all of it, correct? I'd probably have to flash a GB firmware (with radio) for example?

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Scotty, Thanks so much for your personal attention and lengthy responses. I know I'm not alone when I say I wish you would let us compensate you somehow (with more than just pressing the THANKS button).

I'm hesitant to flash an ICS ROM only because I don't want to find out that my most-used apps don't work on ICS. Then I would have to restore my GB Nand backup, and could I do that given all the ICS stuff I would have already flashed? I don't think a Nand backup replaces all of it, correct? I'd probably have to flash a GB firmware (with radio) for example?

there are some things you can do to make the GB roms work with the ICS firmware. some files are different,wed need to poke around on xda for the specifics,but it techncially is possible to restore your gingerbread nandroid without flashing back to the old firmware.

that said,i do think that your GB roms prolly work better,smoother,etc. with the fimrware for wich they were designed.

the thread where the link above does have the GB firmware as well,so its not a big deal to flash the GB firmware back to restore your backup.just double check your md5 ;)

if youd rather not spend too much time flashing firmwares back and forth,it may be better to simply flash the GB jp hboot,and amon if you need it. you can get your feet wet with ICS by flashing a rom,then the "old fimrware" patch.

if you decide you like ICS enuff to move forward,you can flash the new firmware then. i do think the ICS roms run a little better with their firmware than with the patch.

for what its worth,i actually havent come across any apps that arent ICS compatible. with the gnex,the one series,and all the phones scheduled for updates,i think most app guys have allready made the neccesary changes. but in all fairness,i only use 30 or so apps,and all are pretty common.

running an ics rom with the old fimrware may be just the ticket to help you figure out what to do. if you dont like ics,apps dont work,etc. just restore your GB backup :)

and thank you for the nice words. i am glad to help. :cool:

Upvote 0
Wasn't sure what advantage the jpBear HBOOT would provide. I installed it and now I know: it restores the ability, for an s-off device, to execute Fastboot commands from the PC ! Nice. I temp-flashed AmonRa and did a Nand backup.

Next step: install CleanROM 4.5 Standard + GB Firmware patch.

Something I noticed about jpBear HBOOT... When I select the HBOOT option to reboot, the device doesn't reboot. It goes to sleep. I subsequently have to press the power button to get a reboot.

Upvote 0
Flashed CleanROM 4.5 Standard + the GB firmware patch.

Problem #1: SwitchPro. When I press the "Lock screen" widget in SwitchPro, the phone goes to sleep and stays asleep. Only way to wake phone is to pull the battery and reboot.

Problem #2: Incredikernel beta3-1. Cannot flash it from stock recovery. I get "signature verification failed" error. I think the reason is that that version of Incredikernel is for GB and CleanROM 4.5 is ICS. Hopefully I can find an overclocking kernel for ICS. (UPDATE) I found an overclocking kernel by SebastianFM. The thread says it can be installed with any ROM. I get the same "signature verification failed" error. Anyone know what causes this? (UPDATE 2) I know... I can flash the kernel from AmonRa but not from stock recovery. Interesting. The kernel works at least. Still doesn't make the phone as snappy as with my GB setup. Those stupid animation transitions.

I'm used to the fast performance of my previous setup. Without Incredikernel, the phone is significantly slower.

I don't like the animation of screen changing. Just slows down the device even more. With GB I could turn that off. I cannot find the equivalent setting in ICS. (UPDATE) Found it ! They hid it well in ICS. Settings > Develop option > Window animation scale and Transition animation scale.

Still playing.

Upvote 0
I'd like to try installing the full-ICS monty, but all the threads are confusing as to how to do it. Too many "if you're on this configuration, do this, otherwise do that." I think I want to:

0. Backup everything !
1. Install latest jpBear ICS HBOOT.
2. Install latest firmware: PH98IMG-5-7leak.zip (no ROM is included)
3. Reinstall CleanROM 4.5 and then its NEW firmware patch.
4. Reinstall the overclocking kernel.
5. Reboot.

What's confusing is when I'll be able to use Fastboot commands and, if I can't (but I think I can since it's jpBear), do I install this stuff from the device's Fastboot screen or Bootleader screen or from recovery? I have GB jpBear HBOOT now so I should be able to use Fastboot to boot AmonRa so I can flash all the ZIP files above, correct?

The web site instructions for step 2 above are a little confusing: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1614366

Are multiple reboots required in between?

Upvote 0
I'd like to try installing the full-ICS monty, but all the threads are confusing as to how to do it. Too many "if you're on this configuration, do this, otherwise do that." I think I want to:

0. Backup everything !
3. Reinstall CleanROM 4.5 and then its NEW firmware patch.
5. Reboot.

What's confusing is when I'll be able to use Fastboot commands and, if I can't (but I think I can since it's jpBear), do I install this stuff from the device's Fastboot screen or Bootleader screen or from recovery? I have GB jpBear HBOOT now so I should be able to use Fastboot to boot AmonRa so I can flash all the ZIP files above, correct?

The web site instructions for step 2 above are a little confusing: [HBOOT] Gingerbread and ICS Hboot/radio combos - xda-developers

Are multiple reboots required in between?

using your steps:
0. Backup everything !
3. Reinstall CleanROM 4.5 (neither firmware patch is needed)
5. Reboot.

or,if you have the patched gb hboot you could:

0. Backup everything !
3. Reinstall CleanROM 4.5 (neither firmware patch is needed)
5. Reboot.

so you had it pretty close ;)

also dont forget you can swap the stock 2.25 hboot out for the jpbear ICS hboot,and combine steps 2 and 1 into one step. if you flash them seperately,youll need to flash jpbear second,as the firmware patch contains the stock 2.25 hboot that will overwrite jpbear if you had flashed that prior :eek:

the new firmware patch is needed if you want to install your gingerbread backup on the ICS firmwear,its not needed when running an ICS rom on ICS fimrware :)

you can use fastboot commands as soon as youve installed jpbear,and rebooted into it. so if your using a PH98IMG on the sd card you could:
-boot to hboot(power/vol down)
-let hboot install fimrware
-pull battery.
-remove ph98img by putting sd into card reader into PC
-boot back to hboot.select fastboot on hboot screen
*should be on jpbear hboot after battery pull. fastboot commands are now available.

how i would do it(using this method):
-put new firmware file(containing jpbear hboot) into mini-adb_vigor
-put rom and kernel onto sd card
-open cmd,enable usb debug,plug in phone
-boot to fastboot(adb reboot bootloader)
-launch amon(fastboot boot recoveryname.img)
-backup,wipe,flash rom,flash kernel
-boot back to bootloader(adb reboot bootloader)
-flash new fimrware:
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip firmwarefilename.zip
(if it fails with a hboot pre-update,dont panic,its normal. just repeat the above command and run it again)
-after it finishes,
fastboot reboot-bootloader
-confirm you have jpbear hboot(i forget the ICS version number off the top of my head)
-reboot into your new rom(fastboot reboot)

this is about the quickest way to flash a new rom and upgrade firmware. i launch amon first,as if you flashe the fiumrware second,you may get "cant mount" errors when launching amon after the firmware flash. its no big deal,but requres a reboot to get amon running again,wich you cant really do because youre rom is different than your firmware. plus you have to wait for the reboot ;) doing it as described gets it pretty much all done in one shot with one reboot after rom and fimrware are flashed.

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Scotty - The "fastboot oem rebootRUU" command causes the phone to sit on the black "htc" screen and subsequent Fastboot and adb commands don't work. Seems I have to figure out how to get back to Fastboot. Battery pull I guess....

OMG... battery pull does nothing. Phone still has black htc screen even with battery taken out. Oh... have to unplug from PC. =:-D

OK, got back to Fastboot screen, flashed firmware image file and it failed as you said. But when I went to run the command again, screen had turned off (and would not turn back on) and command just sat there "waiting for device". So I unplugged phone again, got into Fastboot but have to erase PH98IMG file that it keeps trying to flash (maybe shouldn't have done this because that was probably the firmware it was trying to flash. I thought it was the kernel file because the kernel creates a PH98IMG too.). Had to pull SD card to erase it. Rebooted again to Fastboot and it shows jpBear HBOOT 2.21 Woo hoo! (I think)

So I re-execute the "Fastboot flash zip" again and now I get "FAILED: remote not allowed". That tells me I DON'T have the jpBear HBOOT even though it says "juopunutBear" at the top of the screen (radio was not updated so I'm still on old firmware apparently). Hmmm. On the other hand "fastboot devices" works. Double hmmm.

Now this is interesting. When I unplug the phone from the PC, i get the jpBear HBOOT screen with only 1 option: RUU. But I can do nothing from this screen. If I plug the phone in, I'm back to the black htc screen.

I tried to use Fastboot to get into recovery, but that doesn't work, just sits on the white htc screen. Think I'm stuck. At this point all I can do is get into HBOOT and Fastboot. Oh, I know what I can try... rename firmware file to PH98IMG so Fastboot can find it. Here goes...

That worked as far as getting Fastboot to process the firmware file (now I have the new radio: 1.22.10.0421r). All unzips and processing were "OK". SO then I pressed power button to reboot and I'm stuck on the white htc screen. I don't know what else to try. All I can do is boot into HBOOT and Fastboot. Cannot boot recovery. I also tried making the AmonRa recovery into a PH98IMG, let HBOOT process it, then booted into recovery. Didn't work, stuck on white htc screen. Oooh - factory reset from HBOOT screen got me into AmonRa recovery. Going to reinstall ROM and kernel.

YAY ! Reinstalling ROM and kernel worked. I can boot now and WOW booting is faster !

Oh crap. I seem to have lost all my photos and restoring from TiBu backup, which usually works, didn't work this time. If someone can tell me where they are stored, I can probably get them out of a Nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
I'm not at a computer,so more later,but:
Fastboot reboot-bootloader
Should get you out of ruu mode
I kept updating my post so maybe you didn't get to read it all. I'm good now. Thanks again for all your personal attention.

It seems that flashing the new HBOOT wiped out my ROM such that I had to reinstall it before I could boot up.

Upvote 0
QUOTE=thornev kept updating my post so maybe you didn't get to read it all. I'm good now. Thanks again for all your personal attention.
glad to hear it. yes,your post had indeed changed when i looked at it later.

It seems that flashing the new HBOOT wiped out my ROM such that I had to reinstall it before I could boot up.

hboot install shouldnt have bothered your rom at all... im not exactly sure what happened here. :thinking:

QUOTE=thorneve
Scotty - The "fastboot oem rebootRUU" command causes the phone to sit on the black "htc" screen and subsequent Fastboot and adb commands don't work. Seems I have to figure out how to get back to Fastboot. Battery pull I guess....
that is RUU mode. fastboot commands should work just fine. i have on occasion seen fastboot get confused,seemingly when the "erase cache" command is entered after entering RUU mode.

assuming you entered the erase cache command first,then oem rebootRUU,you maybe just didnt give it enuff time to start the process after entering the flash zip command.

when it gets confused like that,you can usually unplug the phone:)p) pull the battery,boot to hboot,then to fastboot,and just start the process over(fastboot oem reboot ruu,etc)

OMG... battery pull does nothing. Phone still has black htc screen even with battery taken out. Oh... have to unplug from PC. =:-D

OK, got back to Fastboot screen, flashed firmware image file and it failed as you said. did the fimrware flash in fastboot screen?? or in ruu mode? you should have seen a green status bar on the phone as the file flashed in ruu mode.

But when I went to run the command again, screen had turned off (and would not turn back on) and command just sat there "waiting for device".
how long did you give it? sometimes it takes an alarmingly long time to turn back on :eek:

So I unplugged phone again, got into Fastboot but have to erase PH98IMG file that it keeps trying to flash (maybe shouldn't have done this because that was probably the firmware it was trying to flash. I thought it was the kernel file because the kernel creates a PH98IMG too.). Had to pull SD card to erase it. Rebooted again to Fastboot and it shows jpBear HBOOT 2.21 Woo hoo! (I think)

So I re-execute the "Fastboot flash zip" again and now I get "FAILED: remote not allowed". That tells me I DON'T have the jpBear HBOOT even though it says "juopunutBear" at the top of the screen (radio was not updated so I'm still on old firmware apparently). Hmmm. On the other hand "fastboot devices" works. Double hmmm.
the fastboot flash zip command must be done in ruu mode. if it ran in fastboot before,that is a fluke,somehow from starting the ruu,then the batter pull,attempt to turn the phone back on before its ready,etc. i experienced that myself when flashing the leak overtop of a custom rom on my s-on phone.

the fastboot flash zip command will work with jpbear,or any normal hboot. it just needs to be done after oem rebootRUU ;)

all the commands should work fine with the phone on the black,htc ruu screen. you could have even fastboot booted amon

last and not least,only jpbear was updated becasue it was the only thing that flashed before the "pre-update" was finished.

Now this is interesting. When I unplug the phone from the PC, i get the jpBear HBOOT screen with only 1 option: RUU. But I can do nothing from this screen. If I plug the phone in, I'm back to the black htc screen.
sounds like you were stuck in ruu mode this whole time. the command above(fastboot reboot-bootloader) would have gotten you out of it,if you had seen it soon enuff

prolly all the strange issues you had were due the phone being in ruu mode while you were flashing in hboot,and doing other things.

I tried to use Fastboot to get into recovery, but that doesn't work, just sits on the white htc screen. Think I'm stuck. At this point all I can do is get into HBOOT and Fastboot. Oh, I know what I can try... rename firmware file to PH98IMG so Fastboot can find it. Here goes...

That worked as far as getting Fastboot to process the firmware file (now I have the new radio: 1.22.10.0421r). All unzips and processing were "OK". SO then I pressed power button to reboot and I'm stuck on the white htc screen. I don't know what else to try. All I can do is boot into HBOOT and Fastboot. Cannot boot recovery. I also tried making the AmonRa recovery into a PH98IMG, let HBOOT process it, then booted into recovery. Didn't work, stuck on white htc screen. Oooh - factory reset from HBOOT screen got me into AmonRa recovery. Going to reinstall ROM and kernel.
yup... thats what it will do when amon is installed. normally selecting that option will take you to the stock recovery to erase user data.

YAY ! Reinstalling ROM and kernel worked. I can boot now and WOW booting is faster !

Oh crap. I seem to have lost all my photos and restoring from TiBu backup, which usually works, didn't work this time. If someone can tell me where they are stored, I can probably get them out of a Nandroid backup.

were your photos stored on the internal sd? if so,im afraid they are gone,as a result of the factory reset. i do not believe they are stored anywhere in the nandroid.

Upvote 0
so add a lil more info:

how i would do it(using this method):
-put new firmware file(containing jpbear hboot) into mini-adb_vigor
-put rom and kernel onto sd card
-open cmd,enable usb debug,plug in phone
-boot to fastboot(adb reboot bootloader)
-launch amon(fastboot boot recoveryname.img)
-backup,wipe,flash rom,flash kernel
-boot back to bootloader(adb reboot bootloader)
-flash new fimrware:
fastboot erase cache
you should see a confirmation that its been done in the cmd window
fastboot oem rebootRUU
will boot you into the black screen with htc in the middle(this is ruu mode)
fastboot flash zip firmwarefilename.zip
it may take some time for this to start. there may be a pause,then another pause as it is "sending..." then it will check main version,signiture,etc. since youre s-off,it automatically passes all the checks.once you see image[xxxxx] unzipping & flushing.. then the file will start falshing. you will see the green status bar as this competes,on the phone screen. note that the green bar may not go all the way across the screen.

if it gets hung here(i.e.,you get a "waiting for device" after running the "fastboot flash" command),you should be able to pull battery,boot,to hboot,select fastboot from hboot,and pick up at the fastboot oem rebootRUU command

(if it fails with a hboot pre-update,dont panic,its normal. just repeat the above command and run it again. the phone will turn off,then back on into ruu mode,with no status bar. do not run the command until your back on this screen. give it at least 10 minutes before you decide its hung. after you run the command again,it will flash everything else in the zip file.)
-after it finishes,
fastboot reboot-bootloader this takes you out of ruu mode,and back to fastboot
-confirm you have jpbear hboot(i forget the ICS version number off the top of my head)
-reboot into your new rom(fastboot reboot)

sorry,i should have given you all that before. hope it helps clear up why stuff maybe didnt go as it should have.

Reactions: thornev
Upvote 0
did the fimrware flash in fastboot screen?? or in ruu mode? you should have seen a green status bar on the phone as the file flashed in ruu mode.
The firmware flashed in fastboot screen after I made it into a PH98IMG file. When I flashed using the fastboot command, it failed and since I didn't know I was in RUU mode and what I could do in RUU mode, I just assumed I was stuck.
you maybe just didnt give it enuff time to start the process after entering the flash zip command.
The error message I got said to re-flash "immediately." But again, I think the problem was I didn't know about RUU mode.
how long did you give it? sometimes it takes an alarmingly long time to turn back on
I didn't wait more than 1m. I don't know how long one has to wait for these things.
the fastboot flash zip command must be done in ruu mode.
Apparently I was in RUU mode after I entered the "fastboot oem rebootRUU" command and got the black htc screen. I just didn't know I was in the right spot. I was waiting to get back the fastboot screen and hence I thought I was stuck.
were your photos stored on the internal sd?
Is there a way to tell Android to store them on the external SD? Turns out I had them backed up in Picaso (thought I had turned that off) so I was able to get them back. And if I look hard enough, I might have saved them on my hard drive somewhere, probably in my photo collection.

Upvote 0
So this means your wire trick is working but you're getting an error message? If so did you extract the zip files from bear, which are 4 files, into the adb file you used to root your phone? Not to be redundant but can you explain from start to finish what you're doing? What firmware and rom you're running?

Can you please tell me how to find the 4 files from bear/ and how might I install them? My Amaze is currently doing the exact same thing this guys was. Mine has been like this for about a week now, I'm beginning to loose hope..please help me ):

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones