• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help When are we going to get 2.1 or any update?

Just felt compelled to ask! I heard rumors bout 22 of Feb and another about early march. I really shouldn't care cause I get a replacement phone soon and that should solve all of my issues! I just want more screens on home and flash! I love the moment! Its an excellent piece of machineary but I wish we were at least on 1.6 for bigger caller id pictures! Anyone have a certified clue or know what they want the update for? I don't have a pc that I can use for the software to root it so I'm stuck waiting.... I would like to see a great deal of posts so please be kind as to share your thoughts and experiences. I wanna know about root too!

Just felt compelled to ask! I heard rumors bout 22 of Feb and another about early march. I really shouldn't care cause I get a replacement phone soon and that should solve all of my issues! I just want more screens on home and flash! I love the moment! Its an excellent piece of machineary but I wish we were at least on 1.6 for bigger caller id pictures! Anyone have a certified clue or know what they want the update for? I don't have a pc that I can use for the software to root it so I'm stuck waiting.... I would like to see a great deal of posts so please be kind as to share your thoughts and experiences. I wanna know about root too!

Sprint has already said we are getting the 2.1 update early 2nd quarter. Don't have your hopes up for flash and you can do mutiple screens now if you want by running a home screen replacement app.

Upvote 0
There's threads on 2.1 but they all seem to be dosed with information that isn't too understandable. 2nd quarter is next moth but what was the reason for people posting feb 22nd? I can understand if you feel hasseled into answering the same questions over and over but I was looking for patience and answers as well as opinions on the update and any info that might enlighten me as to what goes on with these rumors. I asked more than one question in op!

Upvote 0
There's threads on 2.1 but they all seem to be dosed with information that isn't too understandable. 2nd quarter is next moth but what was the reason for people posting feb 22nd? I can understand if you feel hasseled into answering the same questions over and over but I was looking for patience and answers as well as opinions on the update and any info that might enlighten me as to what goes on with these rumors. I asked more than one question in op!

The February 22nd rumor that was floating around is for the 1.14 firmware Over the web update. After that rumor got started, Sprint was quick to say that 2.1 is not coming out in February 22nd and then later on said that 2.1 is coming out early 2nd quarter.

Upvote 0
I hope that Apples patent squatting Android attack aimed at HTC doesn't delay Samsung in it's 2.1 release. I do thank Steve for his financial help though. Though I had been reluctant due to cost, my wife had finally convinced me to buy a Macbook Pro a couple of days ago. I almost bought it the day before the suit but got distracted and left it till yesterday to pull the trigger. It will now be a cold day in hell before I buy a Apple product. Thanks Steve, you saved me over $2k!

Upvote 0
I haven't really seen this addressed and I guess there is no way of knowing, but the 2.1 update is going to come for the Hero and the Moment on the same day/around the same time? Is that what we are all thinking? The messages we get always seem to include the both of them when referring to updates.

My questions is, how is this even possible? They have two teams working on this, one from HTC one from Samsung and they are both shooting for a deadline, but come on, really? Everyone has speculated that the Hero will take more work since it has the UI. Now this is all total speculation, but that's 50% of what's on message boards. So does this mean Sprint is sitting on a mostly completed Moment waiting for the Hero to get finished, or they just have plenty of time to do testing on the Moment to work out bugs, or even the fact that the update on the Hero is going to be rushed. I don't know, it just seems a little odd that they are trying to release 2.1 for both phones at the same time. I thought one of the upsides to this phone was that it had vanilla android and it was widely believed it would be updated quicker and easier than others running custom UI.

Upvote 0
I haven't really seen this addressed and I guess there is no way of knowing, but the 2.1 update is going to come for the Hero and the Moment on the same day/around the same time? Is that what we are all thinking? The messages we get always seem to include the both of them when referring to updates.

My questions is, how is this even possible? They have two teams working on this, one from HTC one from Samsung and they are both shooting for a deadline, but come on, really? Everyone has speculated that the Hero will take more work since it has the UI. Now this is all total speculation, but that's 50% of what's on message boards. So does this mean Sprint is sitting on a mostly completed Moment waiting for the Hero to get finished, or they just have plenty of time to do testing on the Moment to work out bugs, or even the fact that the update on the Hero is going to be rushed. I don't know, it just seems a little odd that they are trying to release 2.1 for both phones at the same time. I thought one of the upsides to this phone was that it had vanilla android and it was widely believed it would be updated quicker and easier than others running custom UI.

Have you seen how Samsung has treated this phone since release? My impression is that they don't give a darn. HTC probably has 100x the resources applied to their Android phones than Samsung. Samsung took over 5 months just to figure out how to make a OTW patch? 5 months to do something everyone else has been doing for a decade. I'm kind of suprised that the Moments update is comming out near the time of the Hero's, if anything I would expect the Hero to be done way before the Moment. I'm pretty sure without Sprints insistance, there would never have been a update for this phone at all.

Upvote 0
Have you seen how Samsung has treated this phone since release? My impression is that they don't give a darn. HTC probably has 100x the resources applied to their Android phones than Samsung. Samsung took over 5 months just to figure out how to make a OTW patch? 5 months to do something everyone else has been doing for a decade. I'm kind of suprised that the Moments update is comming out near the time of the Hero's, if anything I would expect the Hero to be done way before the Moment. I'm pretty sure without Sprints insistance, there would never have been a update for this phone at all.
Took HTC 1+ years to figure out how to get the phone to sleep properly in android.... I think i will take the Samsung working 5 months (and it didn't take them 5 months.. it took them 1) to get OTW working (and really that isnt fair because OTW has been working on the phone since they released their first android phone..)..

OH Btw... The sprint updater is just a fancy GUI around a custom ODIN for the samsung moment.... they have had OTW for a long time, just had to develop the user friendly portion of it which takes time...

Upvote 0
No updates for this phone beyond one point five. I really am not happy about that at all. Samsung has other android devices. Its not all that new to them. There should be a good team over there but it is Sprint who should have made it an issue just from comparing what other android phones are capable of to not let this phone be lacking. Full keyboard android rocks... look how long the g1 is lasting at damn near full price still. This is a very intricate process and 1.6 at least should have been available by now.

Reactions: godsdragon
Upvote 0
No updates for this phone beyond one point five. I really am not happy about that at all. Samsung has other android devices. Its not all that new to them. There should be a good team over there but it is Sprint who should have made it an issue just from comparing what other android phones are capable of to not let this phone be lacking. Full keyboard android rocks... look how long the g1 is lasting at damn near full price still. This is a very intricate process and 1.6 at least should have been available by now.

Samsung isent being any slower then pretty much any other company. The reason there not releasing 1.6 because there putting all there time into 2.1.

Upvote 0
Either way, we're still going to be missing a few features over other phones using 2.1. The processor in ours isn't as current, thus putting pretty tight restrictions on what we can and can't get. It will fix a lot of outstanding issues, well as speed out phoned up a tad, but I'm not honestly expecting light year jumps with our near baseline standard hardware. By this, ink commenting on or processor, RAM, and ROM space. Coming to terms here on my own mind, this IS a good phone, but its just not the newest, fastest, shiniest one out there. I'm happy with it so far, and aside from customer service, I like Sprint too. We pay far less for 3 lines and unlimited everything than my friends family with 3 lines and comparable plan. Its a trade in my eyes; current and newest devices at the cost of expensive use of said device. That and I think our customer service staff is slightly less dumb than the average crew.

Upvote 0
Either way, we're still going to be missing a few features over other phones using 2.1. The processor in ours isn't as current, thus putting pretty tight restrictions on what we can and can't get. It will fix a lot of outstanding issues, well as speed out phoned up a tad, but I'm not honestly expecting light year jumps with our near baseline standard hardware. By this, ink commenting on or processor, RAM, and ROM space. Coming to terms here on my own mind, this IS a good phone, but its just not the newest, fastest, shiniest one out there. I'm happy with it so far, and aside from customer service, I like Sprint too. We pay far less for 3 lines and unlimited everything than my friends family with 3 lines and comparable plan. Its a trade in my eyes; current and newest devices at the cost of expensive use of said device. That and I think our customer service staff is slightly less dumb than the average crew.
The droid and nexus are the only android phones currently that are either equal to or better then our processor.. every other android phone's (except i5700 spica) processor is slower and older..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones