• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When are you charging your Droid X

So when are you charging your droid x.

#1- Are you waiting until it dies completely and shuts off before you put it on the charger?

#2- Are you putting it on the charger when the warning pops up that your battery is almost dead?

#3- Are you putting it on the charger when ever you get a chance to give it a charge.

How long are you letting it charge for?

#1- Are you letting it charge to 100% with the (check mark) before you remove it?

#2- Are you letting it charge all the way through the night? (so like for 6-8 hours while your sleeping)

#3- Are you pulling it off before 100% and if so do you do that every once in a while or all the time.

This is my first smart phone so I am trying to figure out how everyone else does it. I have had the phone for 2 days now and have already downloaded the new OTA update. So with me being on it pretty hard core I am getting about 15 hours of battery life. I think that is really good. But I let the phone die all the way and shut itself off before I put it on the charger and I pull it off right when it says 100%. Is that bad? Should I not let it die every time and should I let it charge longer even though it says 100%? Thank you for your time.

What you do is actually good for the battery, batteries like to be fully depleted. I just use mine during the day and charge it at night, then take it off when I wake up. My battery life is fine and this is the easiest for me.
LiIon batteries don't react well to full discharge. The software knows that and shuts the phone off well before that happens. So when the warning comes up to charge the phone soon, that's the best time. LiIon also don't have to deal with memory like other techs, so it's not as critical as "when" you charge, but they are sensitive to the overall number of charging cycles. So once a day is fine, but 4x a day over a year will probably kill the battery. They don't like heat and you should never store them with a full charge (prolonged period of time). That's why out of the box, every cell phone battery only comes with about a 30-40% charge.

NiCad and NiMH on the other hand like to be discharged. But no one uses them on phones anymore.

Upvote 0
LiIon batteries don't react well to full discharge. The software knows that and shuts the phone off well before that happens. So when the warning comes up to charge the phone soon, that's the best time. LiIon also don't have to deal with memory like other techs, so it's not as critical as "when" you charge, but they are sensitive to the overall number of charging cycles. So once a day is fine, but 4x a day over a year will probably kill the battery. They don't like heat and you should never store them with a full charge (prolonged period of time). That's why out of the box, every cell phone battery only comes with about a 30-40% charge.

NiCad and NiMH on the other hand like to be discharged. But no one uses them on phones anymore.

Thanks for the info.

So when the warning comes up to charge I will start putting it on the charger but then do I let it charge to 100%. Once it reaches 100% do I pull it off right away or leave it on for a while?

Once again thank you for the info.:)

Upvote 0
LiIon also don't have to deal with memory like other techs, so it's not as critical as "when" you charge, but they are sensitive to the overall number of charging cycles. So once a day is fine, but 4x a day over a year will probably kill the battery.

When referring to charge cycles with a lithium battery what you're referring to are full charge cycles. If you let your battery get to 75% then charge it, that's only 1/4 charge cycle.

These batteries are typically good for at least 500 full charge cycles.

Also, the batteries start to oxidize from the very day they are made, and will only have a good 2-3 year usable lifespan regardless of how many times you charge them. One of the real reasons to hate iPhones and non-removable batteries. There are newer technologies though and soon these batteries will have lifespans of a few decades.

Upvote 0
What you do is actually good for the battery, batteries like to be fully depleted. I just use mine during the day and charge it at night, then take it off when I wake up. My battery life is fine and this is the easiest for me.

That's actually bad for lithium ion batteries. You don't need to do that anymore. Keeping them charged throughout the day is actually better for them.

Upvote 0
I charge my phone all night. Then I recharge after lunch when it is down to 20 or 30%. By 9 or 10 pm the battery is low again. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because I'm not using it an excessive amount.

Check settings -> battery manager -> battery use and see what is using all of your battery. You shouldn't have to charge it twice a day. Also if something is using more battery than the screen, that's a big indicator that it's a battery hog. After a normal day of moderate use I'm at about 60% battery, with the screen using the most battery, and then cell standby using the second most.

And to reply to the OP, I charge mine at night. Personally going off my experience with other smartphones I kind of feel like you shouldn't just let it run down until it shuts off, for a number of reasons.

Upvote 0
Check settings -> battery manager -> battery use and see what is using all of your battery. You shouldn't have to charge it twice a day. Also if something is using more battery than the screen, that's a big indicator that it's a battery hog. After a normal day of moderate use I'm at about 60% battery, with the screen using the most battery, and then cell standby using the second most.

And to reply to the OP, I charge mine at night. Personally going off my experience with other smartphones I kind of feel like you shouldn't just let it run down until it shuts off, for a number of reasons.

So even if it is only at 50% or 60% at night you will still throw it on the charger.

Thank you for your feedback

Upvote 0

It says 72% voice calls. The battery is currently at 60 percent and I took it off of the charger about 4 hours ago. I have talked on the phone for about 30 minutes during that time.

Upvote 0
16 hours off the charger for me and I'm at 60%. I charge mine at night when I go to sleep, no matter what level it is on. Take it off the charger when I wake and it usually gets me through the day or at least until I get home. I plan on picking up a car charger tomorrow (pay day, yay!) just to have with me on the go....but honestly I'm VERY impressed with this battery. In the beginning I had my hesitations but it only seems to be getting better and better :)

Upvote 0
It says 72% voice calls. The battery is currently at 60 percent and I took it off of the charger about 4 hours ago. I have talked on the phone for about 30 minutes during that time.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on why you're getting such poor battery life, I'm at a loss.. According to the Anandtech review this thing is supposed to get like 8 hours of 3g talk time on a single charge...

Upvote 0
Maybe someone else can shed some light on why you're getting such poor battery life, I'm at a loss.. According to the Anandtech review this thing is supposed to get like 8 hours of 3g talk time on a single charge...

I think I may actually have a dud phone. I have a new one coming tomorrow. Thanks for the input. I'll check the battery usage once the new phone arrives.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones