• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When did the Default write disk for portable storage/SD card disappear ?

CoolDroid72

Lurker
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, When did the Default Write Disk for portable storage/SD card Disappear?

default storage of photos etc not apps.

and is there anyway to enable it again i.e is it hidden?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210725-193354.png
    Screenshot_20210725-193354.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20210725-192655.png
    Screenshot_20210725-192655.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 108
My best guess is that it disappeared after 9 (Pie)

I am basing this guess on the fact that I have two devices running Pie, one is a Go edition and the other is regular Pie.

The Go edition allows the selection of default storage, while the regular one does not.

My ol'lady has a 10, and I will check to see if it allows the choice or not when I see her next.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, no one seems to know
I'm only running 8.0.1 but read it was gone with 7.

But no-one knows, so I can't tell if its a bug or it's hidden or been removed.

Well then it appears that it must be device specific at least through 9, because one of mine has it and the other does not.

Are you running 8.0.1 or are you running 8.1.0?

Upvote 0
Bear in mind that not every change is the responsibility of the android dev team. They provide the base operating system, then manufacturers adapt it to their devices, making changes as they go. Sometimes these changes are modest (e.g. Nokia devices), sometimes they are extensive (e.g. Samsung), but it has the unfortunate consequence that if something changes you can often not be sure whether it was Google or the manufacturer who chose to make that change.

To be honest I don't recall ever seeing this setting in the first place, but then my most recent device with an SD slot is a Samsung tablet running 5.1, and as noted Samsung very much do their own thing so the absence of the setting there tells me very little.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thank you for looking that is a big help in trying to figure this out

Yeah sorry it's 8.1.0.

Ok, well, I also have that OS on another device- and no- that option is not available on it.

You will need to set each apps' download location individually with settings within each app.

I know it's a big ask but if you can you or anyone else can post a photo from both devices..
Do you or anyone think there is a way to enable it?

Is there a way I can contact the Android dev team?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones