• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When Gingerbread hits the T-bolt what ya thinking?

Hopefully when Gingerbread hits the t-bolt is a win win. Any features in Gingerbread any of you looking forward to? Any known problems with Gingerbread on other models or test versions? Do you think it will really load pages faster and make the battery last longer as claimed by some?

I had a Samsung Fascinate that had the 2.1 eclair on it for a hot minute. They finally released the Froyo 2.2 like 10 months later and it was an Epic Fail. Imagine going to web pages and having to scroll side to side to read text, the text doesn't fit the screen of the phone for easy reading. What a fail.

Reboots? Is it because of the new update? Possible I am not getting any cuz I never updated....

Agree, I simply downgraded to the release radio image and my T-Bolt has been up for days without a hitch. Prior to downgrading I started getting reboots.

On Alpha GB I had 0 reboots as well. I just hope that there's an answer to brick-gate.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

People who have installed nonofficial GB ROMs don't necessarily get significantly better battery life and some even report worse battery life.

Evo 4G people just got their official GB update and they are pretty underwhelmed. And some of the things that are new for them, we already have, eg, Fast boot, copy/cut & paste in Gmail. No sense upgrade, same keyboard, and Netflix even stopped working for them. No more support for WiFi n. BUT, they have reported a little snappier performance, better 3G reception, and much improved battery life. Netflix is working on compatibility and there's a rumor that an 2.3.4 OTA update will be coming with some new features.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g...ions-tips-problems-non-rooted-stock-only.html

Upvote 0
I actually had the full leaked Gingerbread rom installed on my Thunderbolt. I really loved it but had to switch back to froyo because of a risk i found out that my Bolt can go into an endless boot loop! But i had a great experience using GB rom. The GPS on my froyo took like 10 minutes just to lock my location but on GB took me only 1 sec! I was amazed of course of the fix!! It has full Netflix support and works without a glitch! Has an awesome sense update and a different and much sexier lock screen! Had noticeable battery improvements, overall my Bolt on GB was just perfect! I almost forgot to mention it also had a different power,wifi,data manager and a different and much updated menu drawer where it also showed your most popular apps and most liked ones, I had ZERO REBOOTS and I had no problems using GB, but decided not to take the risks after I got the update warning using the leaked GB so im back to this stupid froyo rom again(((((..Cant wait to get the official rooted GB!!! GB is coming by the end of June by the way!

Upvote 0
I haven't seen it mentioned... but i wonder if not installing the update prior to gingerbread (I still get a reboot every few days which would be fine where it not for pvm pvw) will not net me the good parts such as the video sound fixes... Anyone else ponder this or are we all hoping 2.3 is a cure all?

Upvote 0
Agree, I simply downgraded to the release radio image and my T-Bolt has been up for days without a hitch. Prior to downgrading I started getting reboots.

On Alpha GB I had 0 reboots as well. I just hope that there's an answer to brick-gate.

I'd be willing to bet that most who took part in the mass exodus from GB have since gone back since the number of actual bricks are extremely low. It seems, many believe, to have been defective hardware that came to bare when running GB for whatever reason, though GB itself was not actual cause.

Personally, I think these bricks would have happened anyway, even if GB came via the official OTA, but that's just my opinion.

The das BAMF 2.0 Remix beta-5 (das BAMF Remix GB) is just friggin awesome for those who want a real bad-a$$ ROM to run.

Upvote 0
Maybe we dont want to root our phones.

If you're not inclined to do so, then indeed, you should not.

By that I mean the process itself is long and complicated. If you're risk averse, then don't. If you don't have the technical experience, or do not like following detailed processes, then don't. No one in the rooted community wants people who should not be rooting their phones rooting their phones, getting stuck and not knowing what to do, taking their phones back in or filing an insurance claim to replace a bricked device. This is not good for anyone.

Most ROMs are on the cutting edge - meaning, they bring tomorrow's Android versions TODAY - it means they are based on *leaks* that might not have every single bug worked out. If only an official release of Android will satisfy you - and official releases are often buggy as well - then again, you should not root.

Personally, I will never own a phone I cannot root. I want the performance, aesthetics, tweaks and privileges that only come from rooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones