1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

When I "Power off" my phone, it just "Restarts"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmbtexas4, Dec 5, 2013.

1. jmbtexas4

jmbtexas4 Newbie

Hi,

Recently when I select the option to "Power off" my phone, it simply "Restarts", so I cannot turn my phone off now.

I took the battery out once, and the phone was able to "Power off" once or twice, but then, it just started "Restarting" again.

Any other ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert

This is the only suggestion to see where the issue may lie.

Try taking the battery out to power off the phone.

Then press both the Volume Down and Power buttons down. When you see the Note II splash screen, only release the Power button but keep the Volume Down button pressed down. Wait until the Note 2 boots into Safe Mode. You will see 'Safe mode' on the bottom left corner of the screen.

Once in Safe Mode, check and see if you can power down the device. If it powers down without issue, reboot back into Safe Mode again and power it down again. Keep doing it and see if the restart issues start happening. If everything works fine during the boot tests with Safe mode, I can only assume that there may be some 3rd party rogue app causing the issue.

However if the system doesn't power off and just restarts from Safe mode, you may have a corrupted system file. In which case, a hard reset may be required to fix the issue. Just make sure you do a proper backup beforehand as a hard reset will wipe everything in the internal storage.

3. jmbtexas4

jmbtexas4 Newbie

Thanks NG. So, if it turns out to be an app. How do I find out which one it is?

4. NeoGrandizer

Unfortunately, that's the hard part. Troubleshooting the rogue app will require uninstalling apps until the issue is resolved. I'm not sure what app could cause this particular issue. Probably start with when you first noticed this issue and what apps were installed during that time.

5. jmbtexas4

jmbtexas4 Newbie

Ok, I will try that. The issue seems to have also started about the time I added a memory card. Could that have anything to do with it? Thanks!

6. NeoGrandizer

I don't think it's the memory card. I assume when you did the safe mode test, it was in there? It would still have mounted the SD card while loading.

But who knows... I've seen reports of SD cards drastically drain battery life. If you want, dismount the card and power down the Note 2. If it's still stuck on reboot, remove the battery. Then power on the Note 2 without the card and see what happens.

If the Note 2 behaves and you don't experience the issue anymore, then I can guess it was something with the card. Which I find odd. Maybe it's defective. But if the issue is still there, then you need to start back to the point of what apps were installed at the time the issue started to appear.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews