• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When is 4g coming to Iowa?

even though it doesn't show it on the clear.com/coverage website there are actually 2 towers turned on in des moines. there is also a tower that just came online in marshalltown, another in olwein, and one in davenport. so they are there, just not the best coverage :/ a coworker of mine as an evo shift and we found one of the towers in des moines, was sitting across the street from it and only had 2 bars, got 5meg down and 1meg up for speed test.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't hold your breath.... sprint reps tend to tell everyone that. When I signed up for sprint last november they said it would be coming first part of 2011.... which I guess is semi accurate since there are two towers up, its just not a full buildout. They are just spectrum protection sites for clear. If you want to test it out the tower I know of is across from the walgreens on the corner of douglas and beaver, if you do go look at it the wimax antennas are the second from the bottom. Haven't found the west des moines one yet.

Upvote 0
4G is very nice, but the reason I want 4G in Waterloo / Cedar Falls is simply because the Sprint 3G network is dreadful - probably due to network over-saturation. Once the 4G antennas are turned on, I'm hoping the majority of Sprint users here move over to it, which should (hopefully) increase 3G capacity, which is all I really want anyhow, as 4G drains my Evo's battery very quickly. Give me adequate 3G and I will be a happy Sprint customer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones