1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

When is 4g coming to Iowa?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by zizzlfied, May 27, 2011.

1. zizzlfied

zizzlfied Member
    None

May 27, 2011
    Male
    Des Moines, IA
    First things first. I am new to the forums and sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i live in Iowa and have sprint as a Cell phone provider. The question is when am I going to be able to Use what i pay extra for every single month?

Thanks for your time. :)

Advertisement

2. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Student
    Never. LOL
    Seriously. Sprint is incredibly slow getting 4G to us. Funny thing is, for every phone that is NOT an iPhone that I see, it's either an EVO 4G or the Desire from US Cellular. Clearly they don't think it's worth their money to upgrade just yet...

3. TheBlackAngel

TheBlackAngel Member
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    even though it doesn't show it on the clear.com/coverage website there are actually 2 towers turned on in des moines. there is also a tower that just came online in marshalltown, another in olwein, and one in davenport. so they are there, just not the best coverage :/ a coworker of mine as an evo shift and we found one of the towers in des moines, was sitting across the street from it and only had 2 bars, got 5meg down and 1meg up for speed test.

4. zizzlfied

zizzlfied Member
    None

May 27, 2011
    Male
    Des Moines, IA
    I hope that they will fully cover Des Moines next month. A sprint rep told my uncle and I that the 4G service will be available in June so i hope he was telling the truth. I think it is stupid we have to pay for the 4G and we don't even have it yet. xD

5. TheBlackAngel

TheBlackAngel Member
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    I wouldn't hold your breath.... sprint reps tend to tell everyone that. When I signed up for sprint last november they said it would be coming first part of 2011.... which I guess is semi accurate since there are two towers up, its just not a full buildout. They are just spectrum protection sites for clear. If you want to test it out the tower I know of is across from the walgreens on the corner of douglas and beaver, if you do go look at it the wimax antennas are the second from the bottom. Haven't found the west des moines one yet.

6. zoofer

zoofer Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2010
    Iowa
    4G is very nice, but the reason I want 4G in Waterloo / Cedar Falls is simply because the Sprint 3G network is dreadful - probably due to network over-saturation. Once the 4G antennas are turned on, I'm hoping the majority of Sprint users here move over to it, which should (hopefully) increase 3G capacity, which is all I really want anyhow, as 4G drains my Evo's battery very quickly. Give me adequate 3G and I will be a happy Sprint customer.