1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General When to buy Galaxy S?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bertie, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Bertie

Bertie Active Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I thinking about buying the Desire when my attention was drawn to the Galaxy S. I liked the Super A screen, and the swype method of texting. However, I am concerned about the issues raised by many surrounding software issues, GPS etc. I have until mid August to decide whether to go for the Galaxy S or the Desire. If necessary I could take out a monthly contract to wait developments from mid August. I have some questions:

1. Any suggestions about the likely wait before the new phone issues are sorted out?

2. I want to be able to use the voice to txt method also. Will I be able to use this on the Samsung Galaxy?

3. Would I be able to use the swype method on a Desire or is it a hardware provision? Would there be anything similar I could use on the Desire, perhaps from Android?

4. I have read a lot about hardware updates, jf** etc. Are these all approved updates, as I wouldn't want to void the warranty?

5. How easy is it to do the updating for someone with no 'clever phone' experience?

6. When I get my Galaxy, can I save all its factory settings to avoid a problem if I mess something up when updating or downloading?

7. Is it easy to download apps etc and get them working?

I am sure that I will have a load more questions but these are all for now.

Thanks

Bertie

Advertisement

2. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    1.) Currently people seem to be having some issues with the GPS but it is said to be sorted out with the latest firmware JM2, if the GPS is a deciding factor for you better do some more research on how it performs on the latest firmware.

2.)I believe you can and I think it is powered by Google, I could be wrong.

3.)Swype seems to be bundled with samsung devices, Im not sure if theres a specific support on it for desire.

4.)Yes they are, if you really dont want to cross flash from region to region firmware I recommend you purchase a unit from Europe or that comes with a euro firmware out of the box.

5.)If you use Odin to update its just a matter of reading the instructions, if you have some issues with reading instructions and following it to the letter then it can be a big issue for ANY mobile phone.

6.) Yes you can

7.) Yes

3. Bertie

Bertie Active Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you