• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When to get a new sims card..

When you have lost everything connected to your sims card, and trying to hold it on forever, but sometimes
it can and will break down throughout time, so always do back up always try to a basic back up with your numbers and write them down, because there could be an electrical storm soon and just have all your information just whiped out from the cloud, search for your extra ones you might have laying around your house, or I wonder if they could sell them from amazon or any higher up machines. But be sure to back up everything, and just learn a walk though out most, be careful of getting a new sims card though, it can erase everything.. Am I missing something? Anyone can fill me into when of getting a new sims card...?

You don't directly interact with a SIM card, it's no longer a storage media you can access. A SIM card just contains your user account info with your cellular service that's used to authenticate your phone to connect and use your carrier's cellular network. And that's it. You don't 'back it up' or copy it, the data retained on a SIM card is all relevant only to your chosen carrier. And all that data is in their records. If your SIM card gets damaged in some way or you lose it, you just need to contact your carrier so they send you a replacement.
Don't mix purposes for a SIM card and a microSD card. They're very different from each other.

Upvote 0
Yes what you posted applies to the SD card if you use one for external storage. They do have a limited number of write cycles and will eventually fail, how long that takes depends on a number of factors including the quality of the card and how it is used.
The SIM card contains info the phone uses to connect to the cellular network, as long as you aren't having connectivity problems there is no need to do anything with it. If you start getting messages like 'no SIM inserted' the first thing to try is removing and reinserting the SIM, that may reseat it and fix the problem. If it persists then you may need to get a new one from your carrier.

Upvote 0
You don't directly interact with a SIM card, it's no longer a storage media you can access. A SIM card just contains your user account info with your cellular service that's used to authenticate your phone to connect and use your carrier's cellular network. And that's it. You don't 'back it up' or copy it, the data retained on a SIM card is all relevant only to your chosen carrier. And all that data is in their records. If your SIM card gets damaged in some way or you lose it, you just need to contact your carrier so they send you a replacement.
Don't mix purposes for a SIM card and a microSD card. They're very different from each other.
Thank you, sometimes I kind of forget, but I see your oown point in that. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones