• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help When WiFi Is On, Get Notification of Voicemails

PGB1213

May 20, 2016
Detroit
Hi Al!
This is a new behavior on my ZTE Maven using Android 5.1 on AT&T.
When I turn on WiFi and connect to any network, even at home, I get a notification of 2 new voice mails. (Always 2 voicemails) It stays even after WiFi is turned off.

The only way I can clear the voicemail icon on the home screen is to call voicemail and learn that there are no new messages. Then I re-boot the phone. After it boots, I get the voicemail notification again, but it then leaves by itself.

Do any of you know what is causing this and how to stop it?
Thanks for your advice. It is appreciated.
Enjoy Today!
Paul

Do any of you know what is causing this and how to stop it?
I don't know what's causing it, but considering it's quite an old version of Android, it may be related to that. Perhaps some recent app update reacted badly with the phone's function of pushing voicemail notifications.

Have you tried just swiping it away? That's what I do when I want to get rid of mine. That won't solve the source of the problem, but at least it'll get rid of the alert.

Reactions: PGB1213
Upvote 0
Thanks MoodyBlues for taking time to reply with suggestions.

Swiping away doesn't work. Even rebooting the phone won't work unless I call voicemail first, then reboot.

Your suggestion of an app update reacting badly with the phone's pushing of voicemail notifications makes very good sense.
Maybe I'll try removing apps that I've added one at a time until the problem goes away. Then I'll know which app is the trouble maker.
If I figure this out, i'll post it here in case anyone else runs into trouble. If I can pin it to an app, I'll let the developer know.

Thanks Again for helping!
Paul

Upvote 0
I found the culprit (by accident).

The Voicemails Were Real, But Not For My Cell Phone-
I have Ooma home phone service. I also have the Ooma app on my phone. When I connect to WiFi with my phone, Ooma's app checks for voicemail in the background. (I never knew it did this. I must ahve changed ) Ooma voicemails are the voicemail notification that I get when I connect to WiFi. They are not cell phone voicemails. This is why when I call voicemail on my phone, there are no messages.

Why I Could Not Figure This Out-
When my AT&T phone on Android 5.1 tells me that I have a voicemail, it only shows the phone number that I call to check my phone's voicemail. It does not show the caller's number or name. So I'd call my voicemail and find that there are no messages.
That's also why they would not swipe away, as MoodyBlues mentioned. (But ones for the cell phone do swipe away. I appreciate your tip!)

What Figured It Out For Me-
I'd like to take credit for figuring this out, but it sure wasn't me!
I installed an app to snooze my calendar notifications. When exploring the new app, I saw a voicemail on my Ooma home phone on the list of notifications that the app can keep for the user. Hmnmm. Could Ooma be the reason for the mystery voicemail notification?

Ooma voicemail gives the same icon as phone voicemail at the top of the phone (where the 4G & signal strength icons are.)

Verification-
I left myself a voicemail on the Ooma home phone. I turned WiFi on the phone and a voicemail notification showed up. Like with cell phone voicemails, the number showing in the notification was the number I call to check my phone voicemail. So I looked in the snoozing application & there it was- including the caller's number.

To Whom I Owe Thanks-
First of all, MoodyBlues for helping me with this. I sure appreciate that you took time to help. (I like your slogan: Compassion Counts. If only we all could live with this in our minds & hearts all day every day!)

And-
The app developer Leao. The app is Nap Notifications and Timeline Manager. It's a really useful & simple to use app. Notification snooze and stores notifications all in one app- plus more helpful things. No ads, too. None!

Thanks Again for helping MoodyBlues. Now if only one of those voicemails was Publishers' Clearing Thing telling me we won a bunch-o-money.

Enjoy This Day!
Paul

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Cococarr1959- I've had this problem, too. (After the ringtone app is removed, I still get the tones going off.) I found some of the left over tones scattered all over the Phone.

Some places I found them were: Phone - Music folder, some in the SD Card - Music folder, some in the Phone - Media - Audio - Ringtones folder & some in the Phone - Music Player folder.

I still have one from a long ago deleted ringtone app that shows up when I wish to set a ringtone. I still have not found it on the phone or SD storage (but I have a junky File Manager app).

I don't know if this will help in your situation, but it's worth a try.
Enjoy Today!
Paul

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones