1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

When will display sizes trend down a bit?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Durango_Boy, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Durango_Boy

Durango_Boy Newbie
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    Site Manager.
    Columbia, MO
    I'm getting sick of this trend where phone display sizes just seem to keep getting bigger and bigger. 4.3, 4.5, 4.7, 5.0...

I've tested quite a few models looking for an eventual replacement for my HTC Droid Incredible. Yes, it has a 3.7" display, and I'm very happy with it. I've decided that I don't like phones that have anything larger than a 4" display.

I was very happy to see that the Incredible II had a 4" display, however, it lacks all other specs that I will want when I upgrade.

Here's what I want:

HTC
    Verizon
    4" HD Display
    1.5+ Ghz or +Core processor
    4G LTE

The Incredible II would have been a PERFECT phone if it had a faster processor, and 4G capability. I think they just tried to release it too fast.

What does everyone else think?

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

I think, that a 4.3 inch is not much different to a 4inch. I handled an SGS 2, and its almost exactly the same size as my SGSL with a 4inch screen, the screen is just taller and the bezel thinner. The width of the screen is just the same, so the handling experience is the same as well.

I would imagine the same on the HTC phones. Try handling a Sensation, or an Evo 3D. However SGS2 is better than both phones in terms of speed and graphics capability. Exynos>>Snapdragon.

3. MrHawley

MrHawley Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    Tech Geek
    Shenandoah Valley
    I think I feel the same way (though mostly I'm living in a tablet world). "Bigger is better" isn't always true and I don't want to feel like I'm carrying a lunch tray around with me all the time.

Still, I strongly suspect that we're not too far from really small "pince-nez" style glasses that will give us a virtual display that's as big as our field of vision. Pair that up with a tiny little phone (because you no longer need a display) and our smartphones of today will seem like the boom boxes of the 80's

4. creatorbri

creatorbri Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    I loved my HTC Evo 4G, and I'm enjoying my Samsung Galaxy S 4G quite a bit. Screen real estate is pretty important to me.

That said, they're both physically a bit larger than I'd like -- it kinda wears my palm out wrapping my fingers around the thing sometimes. I don't have tiny hands, either -- just average.

I think for me, a phone sporting something between 3.7"-4.0" is ideal, especially if they keep the frame pretty thin.

5. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I'm a huge fan of big devices, and so are many other people. So I don't think it's going to slow down any time soon.

I would love to have a tablet phone. Somewhere around 5-6" would be perfect for me. :)

6. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Size is relative. I thought my DX and Evo 3D were pretty big, considering I would tinker with an iPod Touch that connects to my car stereo. Then I got a 10.1 tablet, and after using that for a bit, my cell phone feels as dinky as the iPod. And the iPod feels like the little flip phone that Will Ferrell would use in the gay/posh store in the old SNL skits.

Unfortunately, the only strong 4" screen device that I see on the horizon is the iPhone 5.

7. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    lol...remember the first cell phones that had to be carried in backpacks. The way things are going we will all look like the fresh prince, or zach morris holding tablets up to our heads.

8. vikingjunior

vikingjunior Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2010
    Well as someone with bad eyes the bigger screens are a warm welcome. I was playing with the Infuse today and it was very nice on the eyes. The LG Thrill was also nice on the eyes. Although other then a tablet I think smartphones will max out at 5 inches.

The only problem I foresee is battery life.

9. thedosbox

thedosbox Guest
    None
    I agree - a 4" screen is the largest I'd consider. Anything larger is just going to drain the battery that much more and be too bulky to fit into a regular trouser pocket.

10. d6racer

d6racer Newbie
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Anyone who says size doesn't matter has a small device. ;)

Seriously, I don't think they will get much bigger then they are, but they won't be going away. They will still make the smaller phones, but keep in mind the larger the phone the more you can cram in it.

11. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Dell Streak? Actually saw one in the wild a while back. I laughed at the person using it. I'm sorry, but holding a 5-6" device up to your head just makes you look ridiculously foolish.

I'm the same way. I have smaller hands and I need something that easily fits in my pocket.

12. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    I have kind of small hands, so the 4.3" screen on my Droid X is about as big as I want to go. Even with that, I can just barely reach the top opposite corner with my thumb. Any bigger, and the top of he screen falls out of thumb reach.

13. vikingjunior

None

May 7, 2010
    I believe it's Ice Cream that doesn't need buttons so that would free up a lot of room for the screen.

14. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    I have 4.5 now, and honestly I think I have found my max. I don't want bigger than 4.5" screen... but I love what I have now.

15. juliesdroidsyn

None

Sep 17, 2011
    Yes, my tiny screen on my old blackberry curve was once large enough... I suppose screens will start getting smaller when our eyes start growing younger...:) Droid3 has a big screen, and I changed from a droid1 to the 3 because of it... and the awesome slide out keyboard... yes, I love it... anyway... many of us need that little bit of extra screen real estate!

16. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think it is a good thing to see so many different sizes of screens available. For me, the main thing is a keyboard slider. There isn't much selection for me. My HTC Desire Z has a 3.7" screen. It's size is comfortable for me. I have no complaints about its size. Text and images are comfortable to read and see. I don't have any issues when selecting text, icons, widget controls and other things on the screen. It is the right size for my holster. When using Maps, I have no problems reading the streets and directions.

17. pawdog

pawdog Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I just hope the Android handset makers understand how important choice is to many consumers. While I love my 4.3 & 5 inch devices I don't expect everyone to feel that way. As long as they stay away from the Apple model of our way or the highway we can all make our own choices.

18. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

I think the main problem with the growing sizes is that the smaller phones tend to be left behind in terms of cutting edge tech. The larger phones usually get the latest and greatest, while the 3.7inchers are getting put to mid-range units. Biggest I'd go for is probably 4.3inches.

19. Eaglesfan9106

Eaglesfan9106 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Ehhhh gpu is on par if not better the only thing slightly holding it back is the higher resolution screen but the adreno 220 is no joke

20. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

The Adreno 220 is no joke yes, alone. But its capabilities are being held back by the Snapdragon chipset. The Exynos is able to make better use of the Mali 400. You could check out the latest benchmarks. The adreno 220 can indeed churn out more triangles per second, but in performance tests, it performs a lot worse than an SGS2. Even if the Adreno 220 was better than the Mali-400, its the entire chipset which dicates performance. The whole chipset is greater than the sum of its parts (CPU, GPU, etc).

Exynos performs much more better than Snapdragon. Even if you switch graphics chips, Exynos still eats Snapdragon anyday. The Snapdragon only has a single channel DDR2 bus, while the Exynos has a multiple channel DDR3 bus, making it faster and better than the Snapdragon. This is not apparent in a basic output test, where the better Adreno 220 shows its better capabilities with more triangles output, but when you put it to the test, difference of multiple channels and DDR bus speed reveals itself:

AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

21. vikingjunior

None

May 7, 2010
    If anyone uses opera mini it uses software buttons on the bottom and is a delight to use I think the software buttons is going to be a big success.

22. !on

!on Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Yup, it is relative. Better quality screen in terms of colour, pixels & build (gorilla glass?) & resolution. I think they'll go a little bigger as we're talking computers here. As long as it still fits in a pocket without breakage.

Imo tablets will always be second best to pocket size devices, I believe they still haven't eveolved yet & imo should have the same spec as laptops. I think this fad of tablets with mobile phone OS is a novelty & will pass (unless like I said, they evolve).