• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When will display sizes trend down a bit?

I'm getting sick of this trend where phone display sizes just seem to keep getting bigger and bigger. 4.3, 4.5, 4.7, 5.0...

I've tested quite a few models looking for an eventual replacement for my HTC Droid Incredible. Yes, it has a 3.7" display, and I'm very happy with it. I've decided that I don't like phones that have anything larger than a 4" display.

I was very happy to see that the Incredible II had a 4" display, however, it lacks all other specs that I will want when I upgrade.

Here's what I want:

HTC
Verizon
4" HD Display
1.5+ Ghz or +Core processor
4G LTE

The Incredible II would have been a PERFECT phone if it had a faster processor, and 4G capability. I think they just tried to release it too fast.

What does everyone else think?

I think, that a 4.3 inch is not much different to a 4inch. I handled an SGS 2, and its almost exactly the same size as my SGSL with a 4inch screen, the screen is just taller and the bezel thinner. The width of the screen is just the same, so the handling experience is the same as well.

I would imagine the same on the HTC phones. Try handling a Sensation, or an Evo 3D. However SGS2 is better than both phones in terms of speed and graphics capability. Exynos>>Snapdragon.

Upvote 0
I think I feel the same way (though mostly I'm living in a tablet world). "Bigger is better" isn't always true and I don't want to feel like I'm carrying a lunch tray around with me all the time.

Still, I strongly suspect that we're not too far from really small "pince-nez" style glasses that will give us a virtual display that's as big as our field of vision. Pair that up with a tiny little phone (because you no longer need a display) and our smartphones of today will seem like the boom boxes of the 80's

Upvote 0
I loved my HTC Evo 4G, and I'm enjoying my Samsung Galaxy S 4G quite a bit. Screen real estate is pretty important to me.

That said, they're both physically a bit larger than I'd like -- it kinda wears my palm out wrapping my fingers around the thing sometimes. I don't have tiny hands, either -- just average.

I think for me, a phone sporting something between 3.7"-4.0" is ideal, especially if they keep the frame pretty thin.

Upvote 0
Size is relative. I thought my DX and Evo 3D were pretty big, considering I would tinker with an iPod Touch that connects to my car stereo. Then I got a 10.1 tablet, and after using that for a bit, my cell phone feels as dinky as the iPod. And the iPod feels like the little flip phone that Will Ferrell would use in the gay/posh store in the old SNL skits.

Unfortunately, the only strong 4" screen device that I see on the horizon is the iPhone 5.

Upvote 0
I'm a huge fan of big devices, and so are many other people. So I don't think it's going to slow down any time soon.

I would love to have a tablet phone. Somewhere around 5-6" would be perfect for me. :)

Dell Streak? Actually saw one in the wild a while back. I laughed at the person using it. I'm sorry, but holding a 5-6" device up to your head just makes you look ridiculously foolish.

I agree - a 4" screen is the largest I'd consider. Anything larger is just going to drain the battery that much more and be too bulky to fit into a regular trouser pocket.

I'm the same way. I have smaller hands and I need something that easily fits in my pocket.

Upvote 0
Yes, my tiny screen on my old blackberry curve was once large enough... I suppose screens will start getting smaller when our eyes start growing younger...:) Droid3 has a big screen, and I changed from a droid1 to the 3 because of it... and the awesome slide out keyboard... yes, I love it... anyway... many of us need that little bit of extra screen real estate!

Upvote 0
I think it is a good thing to see so many different sizes of screens available. For me, the main thing is a keyboard slider. There isn't much selection for me. My HTC Desire Z has a 3.7" screen. It's size is comfortable for me. I have no complaints about its size. Text and images are comfortable to read and see. I don't have any issues when selecting text, icons, widget controls and other things on the screen. It is the right size for my holster. When using Maps, I have no problems reading the streets and directions.

Upvote 0
I think, that a 4.3 inch is not much different to a 4inch. I handled an SGS 2, and its almost exactly the same size as my SGSL with a 4inch screen, the screen is just taller and the bezel thinner. The width of the screen is just the same, so the handling experience is the same as well.

I would imagine the same on the HTC phones. Try handling a Sensation, or an Evo 3D. However SGS2 is better than both phones in terms of speed and graphics capability. Exynos>>Snapdragon.
Ehhhh gpu is on par if not better the only thing slightly holding it back is the higher resolution screen but the adreno 220 is no joke

Upvote 0
Ehhhh gpu is on par if not better the only thing slightly holding it back is the higher resolution screen but the adreno 220 is no joke

The Adreno 220 is no joke yes, alone. But its capabilities are being held back by the Snapdragon chipset. The Exynos is able to make better use of the Mali 400. You could check out the latest benchmarks. The adreno 220 can indeed churn out more triangles per second, but in performance tests, it performs a lot worse than an SGS2. Even if the Adreno 220 was better than the Mali-400, its the entire chipset which dicates performance. The whole chipset is greater than the sum of its parts (CPU, GPU, etc).

Exynos performs much more better than Snapdragon. Even if you switch graphics chips, Exynos still eats Snapdragon anyday. The Snapdragon only has a single channel DDR2 bus, while the Exynos has a multiple channel DDR3 bus, making it faster and better than the Snapdragon. This is not apparent in a basic output test, where the better Adreno 220 shows its better capabilities with more triangles output, but when you put it to the test, difference of multiple channels and DDR bus speed reveals itself:

AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

Upvote 0
Size is relative. I thought my DX and Evo 3D were pretty big, considering I would tinker with an iPod Touch that connects to my car stereo. Then I got a 10.1 tablet, and after using that for a bit, my cell phone feels as dinky as the iPod. And the iPod feels like the little flip phone that Will Ferrell would use in the gay/posh store in the old SNL skits.

Unfortunately, the only strong 4" screen device that I see on the horizon is the iPhone 5.

Yup, it is relative. Better quality screen in terms of colour, pixels & build (gorilla glass?) & resolution. I think they'll go a little bigger as we're talking computers here. As long as it still fits in a pocket without breakage.

Imo tablets will always be second best to pocket size devices, I believe they still haven't eveolved yet & imo should have the same spec as laptops. I think this fad of tablets with mobile phone OS is a novelty & will pass (unless like I said, they evolve).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones