1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General When will optimus be a real 3 g

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by davegale, Jul 21, 2011.

1. davegale

davegale Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Just wondering when will the lg optimus M be a real 3g phone and be able to download youtube quicker.

Advertisement

2. pmb116

pmb116 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    Short answer. Never

3. ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    metro Atlanta area

Metro said they were skipping full 3G to go to LTE (4G). While they do have some elements of "3G", their top DATA speed is 144k, and actual speed is more 100k.

See this story: in Philly, using Optimus and Ascend phones -- Metro clocked at 100kbps, while Cricket clocked at 1,000kbps. That's because Cricket uses full, unthrottled EVDO while Metro does not. Metro still has "2G" speed.

MetroPCS to focus on Android, LTE | CTIA 2011 - CNET Reviews

Now, you will encounter some people on here who try to claim that Metro "has" 3G, but they are talking about voice, while everyone talking about SPEED means DATA speed. Nobody cares what "generation" voice is as long as it works. It's data SPEED we care about. So, don't let those guys snow you. Metro does NOT have 3G data speed, and we all know it.

Metro has 100kbps speed? That's 2G. :p

[​IMG]

Having said that, Metro is rollling out temporary, CAPPED EVDO in some markets to relieve stress on the network. It won't be any increase in speed, but it's to alleviate all those data outages we've been getting. They will remove it when enough people have moved to LTE.

So, short answer is never. And long answer is never.

4. Outrider

Outrider Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    so let me get this straight, metro does NOT have 3g. their just a load of bull. blocking the phone inside out, and adding apps that are crap? anything else i should know about?

5. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010

They are crap, but preloaded apps is not that big of a deal since every carrier does it. At least they are easy to remove on the Optimus M. They also never really promised 3G and it was common knowledge that they abandoned it before the M came out.

6. ChazzMatt

None

Nov 29, 2010
    metro Atlanta area

You root the phone and take the bloatware off.

True, they did say last year -- before the Optimus M was released -- that they were skipping 3G and going to LTE. But so many people kept begging for Androids, so they gave them Androids. At 100kbps. :(

I bought two of them, back last November, but I really didn't know better at the time. It was my first smartphone.

And many people just want "hand bling". There's people who flash HTC EVO and bring it to Metro! :thinking: EVO is wi-max/cdma. Only the CDMA part works on Metro -- and at 100k! But people show off their EVOs! :rolleyes:

So, some don't care about the crappy "2G" data speed. There's another guy on another forum that is funny. He keeps insisting that because Metro has elements of 3G technology in their network that Metro has 3G. Ha. He doesn't seem to "get it" that when we say 3G, 2G we are talking about "data speed". I don't care if Metro has 3G VOICE. If Metro can't get it up over 100kbps, while every other CDMA carrier (Verizon, Sprint, even Cricket) has 1,000+ kbps, then that is NOT 3G.

And this chart was from two years ago! Now, 3G is even faster.
    [​IMG]

Even Metro's management doesn't try the "engineering" 3G claim. They readily admit they are skipping full 3G for LTE. Come October, I'm buying the LTE Bryce/Esteem!

7. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    The short answer here is metro does not have 3g SPEEDS that does not make the tech 3rd generation IE 3g.
    I know this is a moot point but it is a important one.

8. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Male
    Prototype Precision Machinist
    Tri-Cities, Michigan
    I still think its crap that on the box of the optimus m is the picture of the phone. And if you look closly you can see the data icon on the screen and it says 3g. THATS FALSE ADVERTISING!!!

9. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    You would have a really hard time proving that one because the phone itself IS capable of 3G. It has all the internal workings to use it. Metro does not offer 3G though. LG made the phone and packaging and are selling a phone capable of 3G. Metro never claimed that 3G is offered, so I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately most people buying the phones do not know the details, but they are there to be found. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I got the Optimus. I knew that it would never have 3G. I knew that it was not capable of Flash. Etc. Etc. I have never been thrilled with Metro, but I have never been disappointed by the Optimus. It does what it is supposed to do.

10. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX
    Here here! I, unlike a lot of people probably, researched what I was intending before I purchased. I knew it didn't have the fast speeds, and knew the processor couldn't play flash games. I still purchased 2 Optimus M's. My wife and I have been extremely happy with the service; even the slower web speeds when not attached to wifi. We like the phones so much, our opinion even swayed my sister-in-law to get one.

11. Outrider

Outrider Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I meant, yes the bloat ware is annoying. but well, you PAID for those apps. i have a costum rom, and i download metro navigator (i love this app). Metro has items 3g like voice, but NOT internet speed. And maybe we all dont have a claim against metro (only thing i found was a little detail, they said the phone is android 2.2 instead of 2.2.1) But go to lg look up optimus m, and open the data sheet. look for the adobe flash area. They say the phone is flash ready, AND fully capable, yet the phone has no way of using flash. Hope this helps you

12. elcocho852

elcocho852 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Male
    College Student
    CA
    metropcs has 3g now.... go and check my post and you will see that its true,,,,,

13. new optimus

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    Surprising enough yup.
    I am getting 700kb/s down at home, have not checked around different places yet.

14. ChazzMatt

None

Nov 29, 2010
    metro Atlanta area
    True ONL for a few markets, temporary and CAPPED.

Metro will NOT NOT ever upgrade their network to 3G. They are skipping 3G to go to LTE. I don't mean 3 or 4 markets. I mean all 14.

Most customers will never see this temporary, capped 3G.

15. new optimus

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    Here is 3g speeds, different servers different parts of the country.

[​IMG]

16. papichulo916

papichulo916 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    student
    the 916
    the top two, 4th and 5th are 3g

[​IMG]

some are not 3g some are 1x and wifi fyi

17. koolsk8ter111

koolsk8ter111 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    I heard rumors of them getting 3g by end of this year or early next year. I am new to metropcs, and for $50, I would at least want good call quality, as i have stated in my previous post that both my phone and my brother's phones are receiving choppy call quality, and we are in a best coverage zone in brooklyn new york. And i have lost hope for metropcs, because they are the only company giving me this kind of trouble, and i would at least want faster internet. I feel bad my mother is paying $50 for my crappy service i'm receiving. My birthday is in sep 13th, so I may switch over to virgin mobile, boostmobile (my previous service), or possibly cricket, something that is cheap and offers 3g data speeds. So to make the answer clear, probably not gettig 3g right now, or never. if metropcs has 3g, they may gain customers, or even regain some lost. sorry to say this, but i may be a lost customer, i may get the galaxy prevail from boost mobile, even tho i am technically downgrading. sorry i want to use my android without switching over to wifi just to download something.

18. CavemanJosh

CavemanJosh Lurker
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    I've had 3G on metro for about a month now. I'm in Orlando. The difference was awesome. 4sq, facebook, youtube and EVERYTHING else worked waaaaaaay better & faster. I had an optimus that was defective tho, and just got my replacement yesterday. Haven't seen 3G since switching to the new one. Weird...

19. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Try updating your prl. Your new one likely has the old list and your old phone had the newer list. It is not difficult to update through the automated system. If it does not update that way then you can manually force it to update. There are some threads on how to do that.

20. papichulo916

None

Aug 11, 2011
    student
    the 916
    Well the automated system didn't work with my Optimus, it just left it at 3019. I think he'll have more luck doing it manually.

21. alexxseven

alexxseven Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    supervising people kicking rocks
    That box under the bridge
    well can't say never if 3G, (even temp.) is there, my opinion is the 3G is perm. if they are waiting for ppl to move to LTE because the fact that they dont have good 4g phones (that i know of based on battery life) shoots down their market for 4g, its both a good and bad thing, it will 1: increase the load of 3G areas. 2: increase their general market as competition. 3: increase the usability of the optimus and ascend users. BUT its also bad as it will hinder their 4g expansion, and possibly kill it at that if they don't get a better array of 4g phones (even with the LG Bryce coming out, social behavior will limit its sales as well, its more common for someone to want something only a small group has, and ppl always expect a large group to get a new thing, so they hold off.). and it could possibly hinder their overall expansion if they worry too much about rolling out 3G.

personally during the 1 month i had no data cause of an "outage" without any clear answer as too why i ditched metro for sprint and upped to an EVO 3D, why pay for a service im not even getting? :D lol.

22. dadvr90

dadvr90 Lurker
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    someone who knows a little more than i do should play with this... behind your battery or under your phone status find your MEID then go to whiterabbit . org / android (sorry about the spaces the site wouldnt let me post a URL)
    type in your MEID and press calculate. write down the 6-digit number under MetroPCS MSL. now dial ##626* when asked for a service code enter that 6-digit number; this will bring you to a service programming window and i saw the phone set on 1x field service mode. now i have no idea if tweaking any of these settings will help or hinder the phone but someone adventurous should sure give it a go and help us out if possible

23. papichulo916

None

Aug 11, 2011
    student
    the 916
    i say it already is real 3g ;)

[​IMG]

Tags: