• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where Am I?

rocky s.

Jun 4, 2010
Hey, here's something I've never noticed being discussed here but, if it has, or if this is a stupid question, many apologies.

I have noticed both on my incredible and now my tb that when the home screen weather widget gets confused about location, it defaults to the city of "Kizilsu Kirgiz." This is not infrequent by the way. In fact, when I run into my good buddy who has the motorola droid, his always-correct location stock weather widget is the only thing that makes me envious about his phone. When I have talked to htc tech support in the past for unrelated issues and mentioned this, they laugh and laugh and laugh.

So, help me out here gang. Is this a known issue? Where the heck is Kizilsu Kirgiz? Would the people there be hospitable? Do I need to update my widget? Do I need to update my passport? Is this as funny as htc thinks?

Just wondering. Thanks. Definitely enjoying the thunderbolt, though...no matter where it thinks it is! :)

:). And, yes, my weather widget does suggest it is the cold and flu season there!

:D

On a more serious note, I had a similar issue a while back with another device, so I did a live battery pull (not recommended much anymore, as there are other remedies).

No more strange regions anymore, and I still wonder if the issue would have just gone away by itself over time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones