1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Where are icons stored?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by EastCoaster, Jun 16, 2011.

1. EastCoaster

EastCoaster Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Have been browsing the file tree on my Nexus S attempting to locate where icons are stored (app icons and also shortcut icons), without any luck. I've looked in every folder, including hidden folders, and have also search for all image files. Anyone know where Android stores icons?

Advertisement

2. Desire HD Eli

Desire HD Eli Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    Do you mean so you can put an icon on your home screen?

3. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    The icon is part of the app ... what are you trying to do?

4. EastCoaster

EastCoaster Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    I'd simply like to know where icons are stored, so that, should I wish to change them, I can (without installing an app to do so). Or make my own. There must be somewhere that they are stored, even if apps store their own icons within the apps folder. For example, if I put a bookmark on my desktop, it somehow chooses an icon. As a workaround, I've made a contact with the web site address and then attached an icon where the contact picture would normally go, then placed the contact on the desktop. What I'd rather do is be able to manipulate any icon I choose. As I mentioned, I browsed through the entire directory structure of my phone, and it is considerably different than standard Linux structures.

5. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    To change an app icon you need to unpack the apk file, change icon.png, then repack the apk, and install the new apk ... The app is then no longer attached to the market and you will not get updates. I believe there is at least another step in that process that I missed.

There isn't a folder on the phone that holds all the icons ... That I am aware of

There are a couple apps that allow you to change the icons ... I use LauncherPro Plus ... I can even change the app icons in the app drawer.

CZ Eddie likes this.
  6. EastCoaster

EastCoaster Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Interesting, but the icons must exist somewhere on the phone for them to be used by the apps. Also, there must likewise be an icon located somewhere in the file system which gets assigned when making shortcuts on the desktop. It's odd that icons can't simply be swapped under Settings --> Applications --> Manage applications.

7. Desire HD Eli

Desire HD Eli Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    Seems like an awful lot of work and messing about just because you want to change an icon for an app. Maybe you could develop an app that changes icons. :D

8. beboyle

beboyle Newbie
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    The explanation thetomlin2 gave explained that the icons are *in* the application file (the .apk files). They aren't stored separately on the phone, so there's no where for you to look for them as a group.

Other than editing each application file, your only choice is to use a third-party launcher that has the ability to change icons either through themes (Launcher Pro, ADW) or individually (ADW). Others may have similar capabilities.

9. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    As thetomlin2 stated, the app icons are inside the relevant .apk file (package), they're compiled into the app during development. These are the icons that are used for shortcuts, linking, Manage Applications, etc.

Many 3rd party launchers allow you to change home screen icons. Better Cut allows this regardless of which 3rd party launcher you use.

10. kayakalp

kayakalp Guest
    None
    Hello friends.

11. brasscupcakes

brasscupcakes Newbie
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    Hi, I know this is an old thread, but you never know who ends up here -- while you can't change program icons easily shortcut icons are simple -- you just have to press add shortcut, select the application and before you click okay it gives you a chance to change the icon. Must be an image. unfortunately, I have yet to figure out if Android icons are icos or something or whether a plain old gif or png will do, and what size. Anyhow, if anybody knows how to access your icon set from the shortcut command I would like to know, thanks!

12. chrisluger2012

None

May 8, 2012
    But whats the need of it :D

13. richard96816

richard96816 Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2012

Power.

And to not be a dunce.

14. KyleInMC

KyleInMC Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2017
    Male
    Apache Junction
    Smart Launcher is perfect for changing icons, except that it's a different designed launcher than the default.
    However, if you still want to change your icons, there's an option to do that on Smart Launcher. If you even wanted to, you can change all the icons at once using an icon pack. I personally use, prefer and recommend the Min icon pack, as well as the darker version, Minoir.

15. cheyennemtnman

None

Sep 4, 2012
    You could create a theme... or Icon Pack to make your changes you would like... the apply the icon pack to your device