1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Where are my contacts?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nightmyst, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Nightmyst

Nightmyst Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Being confused
    Hello Everyone,

I have "lost" my contacts somewhere and I can't seem to figure out where they went. I am brand new to such a smart phone (I went from an AT&T Go-Phone to HTC Incredible) and it's proving that it is indeed smarter than me.

My problem is I dont know the "right" place to save a contact. I have entered dozens of contacts but maybe 10 show up when I go to All Apps/People. I'm sure it has something to do with my saving them to the gmail account but when I log into my gmail account, they aren't there either.

I downloaded Phonebook 2.0 and that was able to display all the numbers I had entered. But why can't I see them otherwise? When I am asked by a friend, "Do you have John's number?" I want to be able to easily flip to a contact list and have it visible.

I guess my questions are as follows:
    1. What is the best way to save a contact?
    2. If its saved to gmail, how do you access it?
    3. Can you move a contact from one saved location to another? (phone to gmail or vice versa)
    4. By entering a contact DIRECTLY into Phonebook 2.0, is the contact specific to that app? Meaning if I delete that app, do I lose the contact?

Wow, I know I will think of other questions but hopefully this will be enough for someone to take pity on me, stop laughing at my newbe-ness, and help me out. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Advertisement

2. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Cincy
    Still in your eyes maybe... Just a guess. Sorry no help just had to throw that out there. : )

3. patsfan1130

patsfan1130 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    I prefer to save my contacts to my sd card. people/menu/import/export/export to SD card. To restore, after installing a new ROM for example, simple import to phone.

4. Nightmyst

Nightmyst Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Being confused
    I appreciate your response patsfan1130. I went to the location you said but I stopped short of the export/import option because not all my contacts are there. I have 18 contacts visible when I go to "People" as you suggested but thats not all my contacts I have entered. When I click the "menu" button and then "view," I am given the option to view:
    Google (27)
    show auto Gmail contacts
    Phone (9)

All 3 of those options are checked but that doesnt make all my contacts visible. How can I export all my contacts if all my contacts aren't there? When I open Phonebook 2.0 I have ALL 30 of my contacts listed.

Please can someone explain why this is happening and how I can fix it? I don't know what I am doing and I'm at your mercy.