• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where are my contacts?

Nightmyst

Lurker
Oct 20, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I have "lost" my contacts somewhere and I can't seem to figure out where they went. I am brand new to such a smart phone (I went from an AT&T Go-Phone to HTC Incredible) and it's proving that it is indeed smarter than me.

My problem is I dont know the "right" place to save a contact. I have entered dozens of contacts but maybe 10 show up when I go to All Apps/People. I'm sure it has something to do with my saving them to the gmail account but when I log into my gmail account, they aren't there either.

I downloaded Phonebook 2.0 and that was able to display all the numbers I had entered. But why can't I see them otherwise? When I am asked by a friend, "Do you have John's number?" I want to be able to easily flip to a contact list and have it visible.

I guess my questions are as follows:
1. What is the best way to save a contact?
2. If its saved to gmail, how do you access it?
3. Can you move a contact from one saved location to another? (phone to gmail or vice versa)
4. By entering a contact DIRECTLY into Phonebook 2.0, is the contact specific to that app? Meaning if I delete that app, do I lose the contact?

Wow, I know I will think of other questions but hopefully this will be enough for someone to take pity on me, stop laughing at my newbe-ness, and help me out. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

I appreciate your response patsfan1130. I went to the location you said but I stopped short of the export/import option because not all my contacts are there. I have 18 contacts visible when I go to "People" as you suggested but thats not all my contacts I have entered. When I click the "menu" button and then "view," I am given the option to view:
Google (27)
show auto Gmail contacts
Phone (9)

All 3 of those options are checked but that doesnt make all my contacts visible. How can I export all my contacts if all my contacts aren't there? When I open Phonebook 2.0 I have ALL 30 of my contacts listed.

Please can someone explain why this is happening and how I can fix it? I don't know what I am doing and I'm at your mercy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones