• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where are ringtones stored on the Evo?

wubbie075

Android Enthusiast
May 31, 2010
I converted a ton of songs on my Pre into ringtones. I like to get goofy with custom ringtones for people. So, when backing everything up in advance of moving from the Pre to the Evo I also saved the ringtones folder from the Pre.

I've conncted to the "drive" on the Evo via the USB cable just like I did for the Pre, and I see a Music folder, but I don't see a Ringtones folder. Is there no way to just dump all my old ringtones onto the Evo so I don't have to convert each one all over again? :thinking:

The drive that you are looking at on your PC when you connect the phone is most likely the 8GB SD card that comes with the phone.

What I'm about to say is how *I* know how to get ringtones to show up..there might be a simpler way to do it.

1. On your SD card make a folder called Media
2. In the media folder make a folder called audio
3. In the audio folder make a folder called ringtones
4. Put any ringtones that you want in this folder

Now when you go to select ringtones on your evo your custom ringtones should show up in the list.

As far as I know you need to have root access in order to copy ringtone files directly to the evo's built in storage.

Upvote 0
I have only a couple custom ringtones but one is .mp3 and the other is .m4a

I can't tell you exactly what formats it supports but those two should work.

It's so weird. I have something like 20 ringtones/alerts set up that I used for my Touch Pro. It really has to be so simple that I'll feel really dumb once I figure out why they're not being recognized.

Here's what I did:
- Had 16gb that I was using on my Touch Pro (Windows Mobile Phone)
- Deleted (through my laptop) all the Touch Pro backup stuff that wouldn't apply to the EVO, using a SD adaptor.
- Kept Custom Ringtones, Custom Alerts, Pics/Wallpapers, Music (4 separate folders)
- When I got the EVO, I swapped the microSD cards after the phone was fully charged.
- After seeing this thread, I created folders as you mentioned above.

I had all my ringtones names "Ring-SongName" and all my alert names "Alert-SoundName."

I read another website that mentioned that since Android is Linux based, everything had to be lower case. I tried renaming all of them lowercase. No luck.

Upvote 0
So I'm assuming they are in MP3 format?

Also you move/copied all your ringtones to the appropriate folder that you created on the SD card? I assume so but I have to ask :)

You say you had Pics/Wallpaper. Can you use the gallery application to browse those pictures?

You could also try renaming one of the ringtones with no spaces or special characters at all. Just call it "test" or something like that. I don't think that's the issue but can't hurt to try.

Upvote 0
So I'm assuming they are in MP3 format?

Also you move/copied all your ringtones to the appropriate folder that you created on the SD card? I assume so but I have to ask :)

You say you had Pics/Wallpaper. Can you use the gallery application to browse those pictures?

You could also try renaming one of the ringtones with no spaces or special characters at all. Just call it "test" or something like that. I don't think that's the issue but can't hurt to try.

Yup, mp3 format. Yup, moved them into the newly created folders you suggested.

Yup. Pics are viewable.

Ummm...Just to update everyone on the issue, I knew it was something really simple...Apparently, you can't view the ringtones OR pics in the gallery when your phone is connected to the PC with the USB chord!...hahahahaha

Upvote 0
The drive that you are looking at on your PC when you connect the phone is most likely the 8GB SD card that comes with the phone.

What I'm about to say is how *I* know how to get ringtones to show up..there might be a simpler way to do it.

1. On your SD card make a folder called Media
2. In the media folder make a folder called audio
3. In the audio folder make a folder called ringtones
4. Put any ringtones that you want in this folder

Now when you go to select ringtones on your evo your custom ringtones should show up in the list.

As far as I know you need to have root access in order to copy ringtone files directly to the evo's built in storage.

You are the frikkin man!! Thanks!

Upvote 0
I've also found that you can have folders called Ringtones, Notifications and Alarms in the root of the SD card. Seems to work just the same as the Media/audio/ringtones solution.

I had a folder in the microSD called Ringtones and it didn't identify until I made a "media" folder, maybe I'll retry again. I don't like creating extra folders if I don't need to.

Thanks for the information about Notifications and Alarms. I'm going to try that now.

Upvote 0
The first time I got the tones to show was in the root drive. It does work.
Android must just look for the folder name no matter where.

Yeah, it's weird. I made a new folder with ringtones as the name and it found it.

btw - "Notifications and Alarms" folder did not allow me to identify the alert ringtones I want to use for email notification, voicemail, text, etc...For those that have done this, do I have the folder name wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones