• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

where are the advertisements??

I read somewhere (possibly Engadget) that Sprint was purposely not going to advertise the phone for a month or two.

Perhaps. Maybe they want to let it get into some hands first. Maybe they want it already there when iPhone 4 comes out. Maybe they aren't even going to *try* to compete directly with iPhone.

Not sure what I think about that to be honest. On one hand I'm like any other tech fan. I want to see my preferred devices and services succeed, if only to ensure further development. Still, I wonder how much of it is like running your show against American Idol or the Superbowl. There is a point where marketers know they are the underdog and cannot possibly drown out the mass appeal of a competitor at this point.

Maybe the goal is to get the phone out and get some exposure, let the iPhone launch run its course rather than trying to be heard over a roar of coverage, and then start rolling the ads in an attempt to appeal to another demographic or to settle for second best in perception as part of a long term strategy rather than wasting money trying to take on Apple head on.

Or...you know....they could just have a shit-tacular marketing team.

Upvote 0
Wimax will have decent coverage by end of July - August. Not perfect put many more markets will be ready to go..

Wait until July and start to advertise and of course they will have the free Iphone comparisons if the Iphone drops.

If the Iphone does not come out or the specs aren't on par then they have the rest of the year to sell hell out of this phone..

Reactions: Roman G.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Pre-sales seem to be going good. If they sell 200-300K the week of June 4th the phone will have done well.

Kick in the business and corporation sales and add another couple 100k's of phone sales..

Keep sales steady, get the 4g markets up and coverage filled during the rest of the year and the phone will be a winner..

Once the major markets are up, commercials for video chat, 4g etc can be ran.. Who is going to compete with that this year??

Reactions: Roman G.
Upvote 0
Wow you just want to be rude, dont you.

Honeymoon is over.
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/84380-poor-hdmi-review-evo.html

From a tech site that can not press a button to change screen resolutions.

Of course pcmag is garbage anyway.

I am just trying to say, think for yourself and certainly don't listen to crappy reviews.

Pre-sales seem to be going good. If they sell 200-300K the week of June 4th the phone will have done well.

Kick in the business and corporation sales and add another couple 100k's of phone sales..

Keep sales steady, get the 4g markets up and coverage filled during the rest of the year and the phone will be a winner..

Once the major markets are up, commercials for video chat, 4g etc can be ran.. Who is going to compete with that this year??

I was wondering who you were. Kept hearing others talk about you.

Very wise comments

Upvote 0
Mobile Phone Upstart HTC's Secret Weapon Is 'You'

May 23, 2010
- Todd Wasserman

HTC may not be a household name, but it's definitely showing up in a lot more households lately. The Taiwanese company claimed 5.1 percent of the world smartphone market in the first quarter, up from 4.2 percent for the same period in 2009, per Canalys. With strong sales for its HTC Incredible via Verizon and its HTC Hero from Sprint, second-quarter results are likely to be strong as well. Next month, HTC also plans to launch a large ad campaign supporting EVO, the first 4G phone in the U.S. market, via Sprint. Jon Maron, a former marketing exec at LG and Sony Ericsson, said he

Upvote 0
Yea I'm tossed between thinking the tech buzz is strong with word of mouth communication of the phone and the lack of any mass market advertisements.

The VzW Driod roll out was done very well.. pre-release buzz with pre-launch 'teaser' commercials.. then a heavy rotation of Driod commercials upon release. I mean ppl who were not tech savvy at all where asking me about what a 'Driod' was. And the EVO is huge improvement over the Motorolla product.

Maybe in this last week they'll start commercial advertising but I sure wish I knew what the marketing strategy was. If they are waiting to start heavy coverage just before or around the iPhone 4G release - I sure hope it works.

Upvote 0
you guys and gals ask your self this question. how did YOU even hear about the evo???

1. word of mouth
2. the internet

thats what makes sense these days. with the advent of DVR and TIVOs potential customers can skip past commercials. now with everyone being connected to twitter, crackbook, crackspace, blogging.. those are FREE ways to advertise!

think about it. you have seen VERY LITTLE of the EVO on TV yet there are thousands upon thousands of pre orders for this device! with the majority of people not even YET to touch the EVO or play with it! yet its going to be the hottest phone out!

if you were dan hesse or the ceo of HTC (i forget his name), would you waste money on commercials that may not get seen or just sit back, drop a blurb on the internet for free and watch it spread like wildfire.....

Upvote 0
you guys and gals ask your self this question. how did YOU even hear about the evo???

1. word of mouth
2. the internet

thats what makes sense these days. with the advent of DVR and TIVOs potential customers can skip past commercials. now with everyone being connected to twitter, crackbook, crackspace, blogging.. those are FREE ways to advertise!

think about it. you have seen VERY LITTLE of the EVO on TV yet there are thousands upon thousands of pre orders for this device! with the majority of people not even YET to touch the EVO or play with it! yet its going to be the hottest phone out!

if you were dan hesse or the ceo of HTC (i forget his name), would you waste money on commercials that may not get seen or just sit back, drop a blurb on the internet for free and watch it spread like wildfire.....

Well, we're a pretty piss-poor sample if you're trying to determine where we heard about the phone. All of us are registered here, and probably at least one other tech forum, read tech blogs, etc...we're phone nerds, so of course we heard about it via the web/word of mouth.

Also, we don't know for sure how many preorders there are...I have only seen second-hand speculation, no actual numbers.

Upvote 0
Please God. Bring the Evo phone soon. Then stupid posts on this forum will go away.

Forgive me everyone, but I have read every post in this thread and just so damn sad. WTH does it matter how Sprint advertises?? Other then hoping Sprint is smart enough to not go belly up the next few years, why on earth does it matter to YOU????

Oh, I know I think. *Some* folks are mad it isn't being advertised everywhere so all their friends will know how cool they are?? Is that really it??? Unless you are still 15, I find it beyond pathetic. I get a phone that works for me, all I care about. I long ago stopped caring about how folks may judge me by what stuff I have!!

All I care about, and all I read a forum about, is how the phone works.

Upvote 0
Please God. Bring the Evo phone soon. Then stupid posts on this forum will go away.

Forgive me everyone, but I have read every post in this thread and just so damn sad. WTH does it matter how Sprint advertises?? Other then hoping Sprint is smart enough to not go belly up the next few years, why on earth does it matter to YOU????

Oh, I know I think. *Some* folks are mad it isn't being advertised everywhere so all their friends will know how cool they are?? Is that really it??? Unless you are still 15, I find it beyond pathetic. I get a phone that works for me, all I care about. I long ago stopped caring about how folks may judge me by what stuff I have!!

hahahahahahahahaha

Upvote 0

And it will work better if more people have it. It will receive service faster, and for a longer period of time, and will have more applications built for it. Not all of us are 15-year-olds who want to be popular--many of us just have the audacity to think about what a higher sales figure would mean for us.

Upvote 0

yes, i want everyone to know how cool i am.

OR I am stock holder and want the word to get out so my investment can grow.

OR, i am just bored and making idle conversation on a forum.

OR, i am 15, as you suggest, and I just want to show off my stuff.

either way, your opinion is just as valid as mine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones