• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

where are the sports (or is the storm2 the way 2 go)

hands down better phone all around

• motorola droid

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • iphone 3gs

• blackberry storm 2

• hero/eris

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pilotcharles747

Nov 19, 2009
ft campbell
iphone 3gs user; I am a fan of the 3gs. I just switched from att to verizon. I have the droid for 30 days I am a huge sports fan and NEED my sports apps (directv nfl supercast, espn, cbs etc) I need to know if i need to get the storm2 (cuz they have the apps as well) or will the droid acquire the apps. The droid is a better phone but the order of preference for me is 1) sports apps (not weak one like sports tap real ones like espn, nfl field pass etc) 2) browser speed 3) phone quality

I also just switched to verizon from the 3GS, and while the 3GS is the best phone available and has way more apps I had to switch because of the network (I get no coverage at my house on AT&T).

I am pretty disappointed with the apps in the android market and I also am a huge sports fan. I think with time the android market will grow to what apple's app store is now but it will take time and some more noteability. Apple's been advertising their app store since day one but it is going to take more people getting android phones and more advertising to get the attention to grow the market like the app store.

Eventually we will hopefully be able to get all the apps we enjoyed with the iPhone, but until then stick with the android line, blackberry can not make a touchsceen phone that is worth 2c.

Upvote 0
I am new to the droid era so forgive me if i am missing anything. I know its new and really didnt get as much attention, and the droid will probably bring in a lot of new people to the android market; with that said, if I am a verizon rep and I am attacking the Iphone and i have all eyes on me, I am going to have at least one thing to make em say uuhm. I voice my opinion on verizon and the response is that the android market is a new market, and the developers make the apps. But verizon (who i know has some say if they putting money into it where they can push ideas through) have to get those key apps out there, because not every one that buy a droid is an android fan...they are new to it so they may not get the openess of the phone. But you have to give them something to feel comfortable. Some people hate change and the easiest way to bring in an angry storm 1 user or an iphone user is to ensure that a couple of key favorite apps are available upon release (or not to far after). They did good with padora and slacker...(as an iphone user i was familiar with that and felt comfortable with the initial move to the droid) but you have to get a little more at least one key app from each category (major category). I noticed the g1 will have the nba league pass (which is running exactly like my nfl superfan did on my iphone). I was hoping to see that same app available for the droid, because I know if they have the nba the nfl will be available if not now atleast by next year. The g1 compared to the droid screen is a dinosaur, which is showing the increasing evolution of the android phones.
I am understanding that writing an app for the android system is totally different then writing for one type of phone (ie iphone). But if you advertise your market I would hope you put something key there, even if you put like select games or something (similar to a demo games like on the xbox or ps3) it helps keep the excitment.
Maybe i am spoiled coming from an iphone that has a fully developed market 5 yrs in the making, and yea I am a bit edgy. I am not expecting the android market to have the 100,000 plus apps as the iphone. To be honest with you i thought alot of the iphone apps were whack I only had 4 or 5 that I actually kept for more than a day. The only ones i kept were the espn, nfl, cbs, pandora apps, but i just bought the iphone 3months ago. I am trying to be patient because i do see the potential, i am just hoping it dont let me down like the nintendo 64 did long time ago. As a child i cut many yards to buy that thing. The playstation was its competitor then and i stuck with the familiar nintendo product over the hot new playstation and i got burned. That is partly why i dont wanna go "storming" because the storm reminds me of the familiar nintendo (blackberry) that is competing with a hot new system on the block.
And its not like verizon have any other phones worth looking at (minus the htc droid) that is out right now.
I seen the crackberry app store and they are expensive, the android market has some more eyes on them, the lights are on, and people want a show, when the storm 1(2) had the light they fumbled twice....I hope the droid does not do the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones