• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where can I download free Android applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enh, I'm not opposed to paying for apps -- I just think the "return" policy is ridiculous. Most stores give you 30 days to return a product for a full refund. Some have longer periods. The Container Store will accept returns indefinitely.

But the app market only gives you 24 hours. That's lame. With every app I currently have on my phone(all free and legally free), it's taken a few days to a few weeks to decide if it's the app for me. I work for a living, too, but I don't have money to waste on apps because I couldn't figure it was a dud until the 25th hour. Nor do I have the time to put my life on hold for 24 hours to extensively test an app. This policy works in favor of the devs, not the buyers and certainly not the marketplace.

Upvote 0
Enh, I'm not opposed to paying for apps -- I just think the "return" policy is ridiculous. Most stores give you 30 days to return a product for a full refund. Some have longer periods. The Container Store will accept returns indefinitely.

But the app market only gives you 24 hours. That's lame. With every app I currently have on my phone(all free and legally free), it's taken a few days to a few weeks to decide if it's the app for me. I work for a living, too, but I don't have money to waste on apps because I couldn't figure it was a dud until the 25th hour. Nor do I have the time to put my life on hold for 24 hours to extensively test an app. This policy works in favor of the devs, not the buyers and certainly not the marketplace.

Seriously?

Upvote 0
So, let me analogize.

I don't think reading a few reviews and then taking a 15 minute test-drive of an automobile is sufficient. After all, I cannot extensively test a car in all situations in just a short span of time. Therefore, it's ok to steal the car from the showroom, play with it for a few weeks and when i realize it's not for me, just dump it somewhere. Of course, if I like it, and if passes all my rigorous tests, I'll send the dealer some money.

Makes perfect sense.
Pete

Upvote 0

Why should a developer, spend their time making an app, jus so someone can use it for a few days and then get their money back. The 24 hour return policy is more than enough time to see if you want to keep an app. If its not enough time for you, then don't download it untill you have time to use it.

If you go to a store and buy a video game, take it home and play it, you can't take it back. Once you have opened the package the game came in, most places won't let you return it. That's just the chance you have to take. With the Market, atleast your only out a dollar or two. With store bought software it could be a lot more money.

Downloading free "paid" apps is wrong. You are taking money away from someone who works for that money. Most of the developers aren't big corparations, they are people doing this to make money to support themselves and/or their families.

Don't be a theif and steal software from the deveolpers. You wouldn't like it if someone broke into your house and robbed you.

Upvote 0
So, let me analogize.

I don't think reading a few reviews and then taking a 15 minute test-drive of an automobile is sufficient. After all, I cannot extensively test a car in all situations in just a short span of time. Therefore, it's ok to steal the car from the showroom, play with it for a few weeks and when i realize it's not for me, just dump it somewhere. Of course, if I like it, and if passes all my rigorous tests, I'll send the dealer some money.

Makes perfect sense.
Pete

I was going to agree with the OP until you posted this. You knocked me into reality with some common sense! Curses..... foiled again!! :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones