1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Where can I get a cheap dumb phone with prepaid minutes

Discussion in 'NET10' started by shortduck, Oct 17, 2017.

1. shortduck

shortduck Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2012
    Hello

I wanted to buy a cheap phone can be a dumb phone plus some minutes, this phone will serve as an emergency phone to me.

I wanted something as pay as you go where the minutes should not expire.

Can you please help me decide ?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Tracfone might be a good option for you. My sister (for her 10 year old) and one of my friends use dumb-phones with no issue. They have a year long plan with 400 minutes but it triples to 1200, I think it's $99 for the year and the unused minutes roll over. If you aren't going to use a ton of minutes it's worth looking at.

kate likes this.
  3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

And for the phone... chain stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. will usually have a couple prepaid phones like Tracfone for around $20.

tube517 and Clementine_3 like this.
  4. shortduck

shortduck Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2012
    Thanks for your reply, should I just get any unlocked phone, to get started ?

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

See Kate's reply, you can pick them up anywhere really.

You can use any phone (but I'd check w/them first), even a smartphone and just not buy data. For phones that have SIM cards there is a little starter pack with cards that can be used on GSM or CDMA (not Sprint though). So, if you wanted to use Verizon you'd have to get a CDMA/LTE phone and the starter pack thingy. If you don't care then just go to Walmart and get a Tracfone off the shelf and active it.

edit: to maybe make that clearer (or worse); my nephew had a smartphone with Verizon radios so we got the SIM package and set that up to use Verizon's towers. My niece just has a dumb-phone from Tracfone so my sister just activated it and it seems to be using ATT. I'm not sure you can choose a network on the dumb-phones. They use T-Mobile and ATT as much as they can.

#5 Clementine_3, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  6. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

An unlocked phone will be more expensive, around $50 - $100 is the cheapest.

When you buy a cheap $20 prepaid phone it's locked to that network (usually for 6-12 months).