1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Where can I get a keyboard for Android Phone?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by larrystotler, Sep 19, 2011.

1. larrystotler

larrystotler Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Looking to become an android user. However, after looking at the models available, I'm not sure I want a phone with a physical keyboard. Seems like the keyboards are always about 2/3 the size of the phone and are pretty small keywise. Also, the phones with the larger displays don't seem to be the ones with the keyboards anyway.

What I'm wondering is does any company sell a folio type case with a keyboard that could be used with an android phone. My hands get really cold in the winter and I've found it hard to use a lot of touch screen devices because they are heat sensitive and they don't seem to pick up my cold fingers.

Also, a folio type keyboard would allow a larger keyboard and could make the phone almost like a netbook type setup when that was needed. And, as a thinkpad owner, one with a trackpoint would be ideal(probably wishful thinking tho).

I plan to install ssh and console tools so I can remote login to my servers and using a virtual keyboard sucks because you can't see what you are doing, and not really an option during winter months for me.

I've looked and can't seem to find anything like this. Everything is for a tablet, and that's not an option on a phone for protability.

Thanx

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

How big are you willing to get? A Galaxy Tab 7inches has a keyboard accessory (It's about half the size of an Ipad, and around 3x as big as a Galaxy S), and can make phone calls and sms (although I'd think you'd want a headset for calls. For the phones, I'd think most bluetooth keyboards would work with it.

3. larrystotler

larrystotler Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    Way too big. Looking at around a 4" screen phone. No bigger than that. The 7" is well over twice the size of the 4". Better for typing, but not very pocketable.

I may just have to get a phone with a keyboard. It amazes me there isn't more of a market for a keyboard like I'm looking for........

Thanx

4. larrystotler

larrystotler Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2011
  5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Have you thought about something like the HTC Desire Z which has a slide out keyboard. It's quite large (3.7" I believe) and the keyboard is pretty easy to use too.

6. larrystotler

larrystotler Lurker
    None

Sep 19, 2011
    No. Same issue. The keyboard is only 1/2 the size of the phone.

A friend of mine has a phone on AT&T that flips up like a netbook. The external display looks like it is a regular bar phone. The internal display is small, but the keyboard is the same size as the phone.

All the other ones I've seen is the slide type, and they aren't as big as they could be,

Thanx tho.

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Motorola Backflip design is the closest I can think of. Problem is, I dont know if its upgradeable to the latest Android OS versions.

[​IMG]

Companies just dont make those kinds of designs anymore. I am not sure I understand the aversion to the keyboards though. Sure it takes a bit of time to get used to, but once you've done so, they're pretty easy to use.

The only one I can find which is using a recent Android version is the LG US760, which I think is exclusive to US Cellular:

[​IMG]

8. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Droid 3

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I dont think a Droid 3 fits the hardware specs he's looking for. Its keyboard is still just two thirds of the screen. However, considering that its 4.0 inches screen size, now that I think about it, its keyboard maybe about as large if not larger in terms o width to the keyboard on the LG I mentioned (which has a 3.2 inch screen only)

[​IMG]

10. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    I've seen a few times now someone saying they wanted a hw keyboard for ssh use. How does that help? Won't you still have to have something like hackers keyboard onscreen for your tab ctrl and other keys?

I only use ssh on my phone every once in a while to restart a service or remount network shares if something goes wrong so I'm not the best judge how to best use on a phone.

11. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    England
  12. Matlock

Matlock Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    Co-Manager of SONIC Drive-In
    Texas!
  13. monica4567