• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where can i get the stock messaging app

K so i completly deleted the stock messaging app, ive been using Handcent, but now im having issues with Handcent sending mms so i looked it up and im not the only one. but it seems that people are still able to use the stock app to send mms. before i got handcent i was using the stock app and it was working fine.

where can i get the stock app from? i am rooted and do not have the stock app backed up.

If you deleted the stock messaging app, you can do like I did to fix it. Note that you would be rooted to have done this in the first place and hopefully would know something about terminal emulator and making your system rewritable, etc.

1. Extract the Mms.apk file from the rom zip package (in system/data usually).
2. Place the Mms.apk file on the root directory of your sd card.
3. Using terminal emulator,
a. su (for root permission)
b. sysrw (or mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system)
c. busybox cp /sdcard/Mms.apk /system/app/Mms.apk
d. busybox chmod 644 /system/app/Mms.apk (to change permissions like the rest of the programs in /system/app)
e. busybox rm /data/app/com.android.messaging-1.apk (to remove the mms installation from data if it is there...file may be named differently or may not be present)
f. sysro (or mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system)
g. sync
h. exit
4. reboot.

This should install the mms program into the correct spot in your system for it to function with the right permissions. You can then go into messaging and turn off all notifications, hide the messaging icon if your launcher allows it, and send and receive MMS messages using Handcent without having to reinstall the entire ROM.

I do not claim to be the best at messing with ROMs or using terminal emulator, but I had deleted mms and decided to investigate how to fix it. I fixed it for my phone using the above method after some research. I do not use File Explorer and realize that there are several ways to accomplish the same thing. I hope this helps someone else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones