• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

where can i sell/value my sim?

your number has no cash value. Nor does your sim because it's tied to your account and probably your account info to include D.O.B, SSN, address. trying to sell to your number sounds really illegal since technically it really isn't yours, you are only borrowing it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Upvote 0
You can pass the pre-paid SIM onto another person, that's no problem in the UK. The only value is any unused credit it may have left on it. Stop paying, the SIM and its associated phone number will go dead after a few months, depending on the carrier.

I've got about pre-paid 6 SIMs here from different provinces in the mainland, as well as Hong Kong and Macau. All useless, because I stopped paying as they where no longer needed.

Upvote 0
I am an old chap who has been cruising the internet since it started, and dial-up bulletin boards before that. Never have I seen such an amazing question posted, and I love it.

There is not a phone number permanently associated with any sim. Each sim has a 20 digit serial number that is registered on a network to link it with a phone number, which always belongs to the network. That's why you can always get your number back if your phone is lost or stolen, you just tell the network your new sim serial and they link it to the number.

When a pre-pay sim is inactive for six months the network will recycle the number, and if a contract is not renewed the number goes back into the pot. During my unhappy time working for Vodafone a fairly common complaint was that people would get calls from someone who knew the previous user of the number. Usually those calls were entirely harmless, but sometimes not. If that happens to you, kick up a fuss and you will get a free number change, which takes only seconds.

Short answer to the OP, your number is worth nothing. My usual number valuation fee is

Upvote 0
When a pre-pay sim is inactive for six months the network will recycle the number, and if a contract is not renewed the number goes back into the pot. During my unhappy time working for Vodafone a fairly common complaint was that people would get calls from someone who knew the previous user of the number. Usually those calls were entirely harmless, but sometimes not. If that happens to you, kick up a fuss and you will get a free number change, which takes only seconds.

I've had this problem several times since I activated my prepaid account. Most of the time I get debt collectors searching for the previous owner. It can be annoying at times and the worst part is, it wastes my prepaid credit. Unless it is an abnormally frequent occurrence, there really is no reason to change numbers because any number you get is likely recycled and will come with the same problem. I figure the longer a person keeps the same number, the less they will have this happen because people will eventually stop associating that number with its previous owner.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones