1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Where did everyone go?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nycokla, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Nycokla

Nycokla Well-Known Member

Hello.. I just wanted to start a thread to get some ideas and perspective on the triumph...

I have noticed that people are leaving virgin Mobile and the triumph.. Where are they going? What service? What phone?

I do love my Triumph but with iffey battery and a so so screen quality my eyes are looking elsewhere...

My question is this... Is there a prepaid network that supports unlocked phones? What is the purpose of an unlocked phone?

I want to find a good quality phone on a prepaid network.. I like my screen size..
    What phones are people getting? What network? Unlocked phones work on certain networks?

Thanks guys, I love my Triumph but the dated technology has to change

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jman2k7live

jman2k7live Lurker

3. garrmack

garrmack Member

also Welcome To Straight Talk

they support unlocked phones as well as tmobile an att phones

I'm probably gonna switch once I can buy the Galaxy Nexus for less than $400

4. marcusi23

marcusi23 Well-Known Member

Alot of people are going to straight talk because you can get basically put any phone from tmobile and at&t, and use it on a 45 dollar/month plan.

5. Nycokla

Ok so what phones are unlocked? What are the best unlocked phones being used?

Anyone on a unlocked phone using a prepaid network?

6. Nycokla

I am currently looking into an unlocked gsm phone that is compatible with att and tmobile (because I hear those are compatible with straight talk)... Anyone using straight talk?
    From what I hear you buy a sim card from straight talk and a plan then activate your unlocked phone with the sim they send you

Any confirmation?

7. Nycokla

Ultimately, I would like a Samsung note unlocked gsm phone on straight talk....

8. ziddey

ziddey Well-Known Member

dying to goto tmo's $30 plan. 100min 5gb 4g?? supposedly some good phones coming out in the next few weeks. need to make a decision

9. kaosryda

kaosryda Newbie

Got a free iphone 4. Porting that as I speak to straight talk, just ordered a micro sim.

I'm leaving to the dark side. >_<

10. Nycokla

Keep me posted on how it works....

11. marc12868

marc12868 Android Expert

Any GSM phone can be unlocked so there is not really a best one. Since depending on what you like you can get it unlocked. And I personally went to T-mo with the HTC Mytouch 4G Slide.

12. Nycokla

How does the whole process work going to tmobile? Is it similar to straight talk where you buy a unlocked sim?

13. marcusi23

melissapugs likes this.
  14. marc12868

marc12868 Android Expert

Well with T-mo you just buy a sim and can use it in any phone if it is a T-mo carrier locked phone or an unlocked phone. The only thing is, if a phone doesn't have the 1700/ 2100 bands it can't use 4g. And from what I understand if you flash a T-mo radio onto the Samsung Galaxy Note you can use T-mo 4g since the radio chip in it supports T-mo's frequencies just it's locked down hence the reason you need to flash a T-mo radio image.

And as far as plans go, you can buy a prepaid sim from their website then activate it online and choose a $30 plan that has unlimited everything, but talk (there are 100mins) and it has 5gb of 4g after that it is throttled down to 2g, then a $50 for unlimited everything I think 200mb of 4g though, $60 unlimited everything 2.5gb of 4g, and a $70 unlimited everything 5gb of 4g. You can also pay $15 a month for tethering capabilities.

15. ajbuck68

ajbuck68 Well-Known Member

1. Does straight talk have HSPA?
    2. Does straight talk use T-mobile's or AT&T's network?

16. marcusi23

Yes i believe i've read straight talk has HSPA+
    and i believe it runs on tmobile at&t and verizon networks

17. kaosryda

kaosryda Newbie

if you have a tmo phone, it runs off their towers, at&t the same thing.

You don't need an unlocked phone which makes it nice.

18. kaosryda

kaosryda Newbie

3.4 mb down
    .8 mb up

So much smoother than virgin it's unbelievable.

19. kaosryda

kaosryda Newbie

And this is with 3G on an iPhone 4

20. Mobstergunz

Mobstergunz Android Expert

My speeds aren't that bad (prl is 60686) I think 3g is a bit faster on the Stock based Roms rather then CM7...... and MIUI speeds are horrible :O

21. tgenius

tgenius Member

Been running on Straight Talk for about 2 weeks now on an iPhone4.. speeds are EXCELLENT compared to VM. Call quality and signal are also wins over the Trumph.

You don't need an unlocked phone.. if you have a locked AT&T or Tmo phone you just order the SIM that corresponds. my iphone is AT&T locked (though I have the unlock in process) and you just pop it in and your basically golden once you update the APN (There's a website for iPhones to do this, don't even have to be jailbroken) MMS even works with a few tweaks even not jailbroken.

NOTE: Supposedly 2GB data limit.. Straight Talk is rebadged Tracfone.. and THEY DO NOT PLAY.. you go over on your data, you get a txt or call, you keep going, your gone, and you lost your number too.. but I'm on Wifi all the time so for me its a win.

22. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert

Finding out that Straight Talk is Tracfone just put them on the "absolutely never" list. I briefly had Tracfone, and it was a nightmare. Six calls in three days, with "techs" lying to me, contradicting each other, etc., just to get working voice mail (at a point in my life when I was job-hunting while temping and NEEDED to have voice mail).

23. shiv81

shiv81 Well-Known Member

May I know how you got MMS working without a jailbreak? If you have a link to a tutorial, it would be great. I would love to get it working.

24. tgenius

tgenius Member

Don't have link handy but google Straight Talk Howard Forums and its either on first or second page.. says Iphone 4 MMS without jailbreak. I even posted on the thread :D

if you can't find let me know will look tonight.

25. kaosryda

kaosryda Newbie

Funny thing is. I didn't need to do it. MMS worked for me right out the gate. I read it too, but thought, why don't I try to send something first, and what do you know. MMS pictures sent and recieved from a verizon iphone perfectly.

Motorola Triumph Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews