1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Where did my SD card go???

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by chillywig, Sep 23, 2011.

1. chillywig

chillywig Lurker

So today while riding home I had my EVO running wide open. I was using my GPS and nav, listeneing to music, downloading stuff, recieved a call and got a error message, which I of course ignored and answered the call. Shortly there after I noticed apps not working. Then found my SD not visible. I rebooted the phone once then removed the SD card and nothing. Got home and my computer doesn't see that SD card but my one from an old phone works fine in the EVO, just none of my apps, music or pics are there since they are all on the card that came with my phone.

What happened and is there anything I can do to recover everything on that card???

HELP:eek:

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Can the card be read by a computer? If so, just copy the stuff.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

My guess would be heat damaged the SD card. When you turn on everything on a phone it can generate a good bit of heat. If the card was marginal to begin with a few extra degrees can push it over the edge.

Try a couple of different card readers and if any of them can see the files, copy as many as you can. If not, i fear the card is cooked.

4. danaj

danaj Android Enthusiast

The op said the computer can't see it.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Oops didnt catch that part.

6. chillywig

chillywig Lurker

Nothing seems to be able to see the card. I plug it in and its like nothing, not even a blank card is there

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I dont think you'll be able to retrieve anything from in there.

8. chillywig

chillywig Lurker

My big concern is the info I lost, pics and music is one thing but what about all my games. How many hours had I put in on anrgy birds trying to get three stars on everything not to mention all the other games I played...

So here in my next question:
    Anyone know how common it is to "cook a card" and how hot is too hot?

There has been lots of times I been running multiple apps, gps, nav and charging. The phone gets warm but I wouldn't think any hotter than sitting on the beach in the sun.

9. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I don't know if there are statistics anywhere about SD card failure rates. Manufacturers do publish recommended environmental conditions, but that's not to say if you hit a specific temperature the card automatically fails. It may not have been heat (although I think it's the most likely) but a static discharge. There's really no way to tell if the card is completely unreadable. All I can really do is stress the importance of regular backups. Anyone who has lost important data, learns that the hard way. Sorry.