1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Where do apps save their data (formatted without backup)

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by AngelicCore, Jul 27, 2013.

1. AngelicCore

AngelicCore Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 4, 2011
    Cairo
    Hi,

As i do again and again, I formatted my phone without taking back up of the data on it.

The apps are easy to restore but I was using fuelio application to track my fuel consumption. I hope i didn't lose all of the saved data within.

I didn't do any backups as said above but i copied the 'phone' and 'sdcard' drives to my PC.

Is it possible the data is still there? Or is it perhaps on a hidden partition which got lost with the format?

Thanks all

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Its on the internal memory in a different folder from where the app is but its in the same partition and does get wiped by a factory reset im afraid :beer:
    EDIT sorry man i missed where you said you copied the internal drive.. i know nothing about PCs or what gets copied when u do that but someone will. Hope you find your data man :thumbup:

AngelicCore likes this.
  3. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    Normally app data is stored in a location not accessible by the user, but some apps store their data elsewhere due to the volume of data (i.e. GPS maps stored locally). Your best bet is to contact the developer since you have a specific app in mind.

4. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    It's depending on phone and on Android version (... and on the app's handling as said already :) ).

On your copy of the phone's storage on PC you might look for a folder with the app's/dev's/company's name or in the folder Android/data/ ... there might be a folder "com..." & the app's/dev's/company's name.

Harry

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Were you syncing to your Fuelio account online? It would be saved there if you were.

6. AngelicCore

None

Sep 4, 2011
    Cairo
    Sadly, I've tried searching for a folder that resembles the app name/dev name and couldn't find any.

I did something else though, I copied the Contents of the Phone memory back, which is aweful when you've just formatted.
    Anyway, as expected, the saved data isn't there.

I didn't know about this functionality :( and I think it is available for paying users only, isn't it?

Now I am 100% sure the required data is on the /data partition..is there a way to mount it so next time I don't forget to copy it to my PC?
    (I have purchased titanium backup but usually it crashes or something and i neglect to take a backup with it)

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    funkylogik and AngelicCore like this.
  8. AngelicCore

None

Sep 4, 2011
    Cairo
    Sweet, Thanks Hadron

9. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    There are plenty of ext2/ext3 drivers for Windows, are there no ext4 drivers?

But yeah, for a one-off or occasional job I wouldn't bother, I'd just copy the files to SD card using adb shell or a terminal on the phone, or use adb pull to grab them directly, or use any of a million programs that will do 2-pane file transfers via adb.

Harry2, Hadron and funkylogik like this.
  10. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Ah, I dunno - never use Windows with my phone, so not gone to the effort of looking.

The only computer I've known let me mount /data out of the box was a linux VM, and that was with my old phone (which also did support USB mass storage, while current models usually don't).