• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where do you keep you Gnex while driving?

Fakethriller

Dec 18, 2011
I use my phone as my go to media device while driving. Radio, Podcasts, Audio books, music etc. Its great for it all!;)

My problem is that the GNex has a really slippery backing. I used to keep my Droid X on the passenger's seat and it wouldn't move. The GNex slides around like crazy. I don't like phone mounts, any other solutions you guys use.

I stuff it down my pants and hope for a call while I'm on vibrate.

Seriously, I have a lower console that all of my phones fit into, so it's there, never on a seat. I can see in a lot of cars, there's not an option that's realistic.

I really hate the car mounts, my dash is like 2 feet long in the truck, and these shorty mounts are annoying.

Reactions: VoidedSaint
Upvote 0
I have a grip-style cradle that's vent-mounted in the upper center of the dash (It's from my Wilson Amplifier setup). Thankfully, the sides and bottom are adjustable so the side controls aren't touched, and there's room for the charger to plug in the bottom. I do have a suction cup mount grip style as well in case I wanna use my phone for GPS in landscape, instead of my regular Garmin. Only downfall with that, is losing my booster when I do it.

Upvote 0
I have a grip-style cradle that's vent-mounted in the upper center of the dash (It's from my Wilson Amplifier setup). Thankfully, the sides and bottom are adjustable so the side controls aren't touched, and there's room for the charger to plug in the bottom. I do have a suction cup mount grip style as well in case I wanna use my phone for GPS in landscape, instead of my regular Garmin. Only downfall with that, is losing my booster when I do it.

Is this the Wilson Electronics Sleek model? I was looking at getting this from Amazon but really wanted to know how the Nexus fit in it. If it is, how secure can you adjust the sides so the phone is held tight? Are any of the ports/buttons blocked or can you access all of them easily? And finally, does it work as good as the reviews claim at boosting the signal?

If it wasn't the sleek model, can you let me know which one it is and perhaps answer the above questions for the model you own, if you have time. I would greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Generally it's either been on the passenger seat or tucked below my legs on my own seat. However I bought the Tetrax X-Way vent-mounting system. It's awesome except I don't really want to affix the adhesive metal disc to the back of the phone so I'm waiting for my jelly case to come in, then it will like right up on the dash next to my steering wheel.

imgur: the simple image sharer

Upvote 0
This may sound like an advertisement, but this product rocks.

Two years ago when I bought my N1, I researched and found this product:

PED3-Auto Universal Mounting Steel Rotating Stand - Car Mount

It is the best one I've found yet...even better than the OEM solutions, IMO.

The "FORM" holder is designed to work with an encased iphone 3g, and it slightly malleable, so I'm pretty sure it will hold my new GSM Galaxy Nexus when it arrives.

I went ahead and used the included screws to affix it to the console of my Civic, and the holes shouldn't be too noticeable if I ever have to remove it. The kit ships with a suction cup attachment, if you'd like to use that instead.

I also bought one of the 4" extension pieces.

The combination provides a great resting place for my phone, and is flexible.

Upvote 0
Is this the Wilson Electronics Sleek model? I was looking at getting this from Amazon but really wanted to know how the Nexus fit in it. If it is, how secure can you adjust the sides so the phone is held tight? Are any of the ports/buttons blocked or can you access all of them easily? And finally, does it work as good as the reviews claim at boosting the signal?

If it wasn't the sleek model, can you let me know which one it is and perhaps answer the above questions for the model you own, if you have time. I would greatly appreciate it.

It's not the Sleek, although the Sleek does come with a few different size arms for the sides, different lengths and such, to fit pretty much anything.

As for the Sleek though, all your ports would be accessible, and you would be able to position the phone in it to not block buttons as well. The model I have is a bit more powerful, but the Sleek does also have a noticeable improvement in signal, I have a coworker who has one for drives into backcountry in PA. The one I have is a permanent mount version, which is basically the Wilson 801212, but I have the older Cradle Plus cradle for it, which has the grip-style mount, with cushioned arms. They've replaced that one, btw, with the same style as the Sleek mount. I like the grip one myself but will have to switch, as I kinda busted my cradle :( lol

Upvote 0
This may sound like an advertisement, but this product rocks.

Two years ago when I bought my N1, I researched and found this product:

PED3-Auto Universal Mounting Steel Rotating Stand - Car Mount

It is the best one I've found yet...even better than the OEM solutions, IMO.

The "FORM" holder is designed to work with an encased iphone 3g, and it slightly malleable, so I'm pretty sure it will hold my new GSM Galaxy Nexus when it arrives.

I went ahead and used the included screws to affix it to the console of my Civic, and the holes shouldn't be too noticeable if I ever have to remove it. The kit ships with a suction cup attachment, if you'd like to use that instead.

I also bought one of the 4" extension pieces.

The combination provides a great resting place for my phone, and is flexible.

I own the Ped3 stand for use at work and home. Both are amazing, plus I own one of the large tablet holder ones for my XOOM as well, all are amazing quality products.

For me I can't drill into my nice dash ;) I'm also kinda done with those "arm" type of mounts they shake too much for my liking in the car hehe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones