1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Where do you see the speed difference?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sukanas, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sukanas

sukanas Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    so i rooted and overclocked to 800.. and frankly, i dont really see a difference.

contacts/msg loads just as quick as stock. browser still has the same speed (somewhat choppy, not silkly like the iphone but still fast, im assuming it has to do w/ the way the developers coded the scrolling).

so am i missing something? went back to unrooted stock and i dont feel the phone being any slower..

so im just curious where you guys see the blazing difference

Advertisement

2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Mortgage Underwriter
    Rochester, NY
    Personally I saw a difference everywhere. Screen transitions, apps opening, closing and switching, browser rendering speed. Every processor and phone is different though, and I did have my phone at stock bogged down with a lot of stuff, so it may have just been that 550 wasn't sufficient for what I was doing with it.

3. sukanas

sukanas Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    hm yeah, that probably is it.

i simply use the phone for texting and browsing, nothing else really

4. rhyno

rhyno Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Buffalo

Obviously, if you aren't using it's phonr to its full capacity, the places/situations where you would observe the increased speed is limited. However, you should notice a difference in page loading during browsing at least. Try clearing your cache and loading a page (e.g., this one :)) while set to 550 and then rinse and repeat at 800 or higher. You will certainly be able to tell a difference then.

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Oct 24, 2009
    Real Estate Agent
    M A dub'l dolla sign
    There is a noticeable difference in page load time at 800mhz, I know someone made a video showing the difference. It gets faster when you go up to 1ghz and above.

6. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Civil Engineer
    A couple of things to add -

When I did my first root/rom, I wasn't impressed with the speed at all. I had to overclock to get back to what I felt was the normal speed that I had before rooting. As it turns out, some of the options I selected (2.1 drawer app) were just terrible for performance. I reinstalled another ROM and it was much quicker.

In my experience setCPU doesn't seem to kick in and work right away. I always select set on boot and then reboot the phone. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue or if I am just imagining things, but it may be worth a shot.

Finally, the biggest speed difference for me is just basic pulling up apps and home page navigation. But I am quite certain that there is a significant performance boost. My brother has a stock droid and I can tell the difference when I use his.

7. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    I have quite a few apps and some, like Home++ (which I love) tends to be rather laggy. I've heard mention of the combination of Home++ and Handcent (another app I love) will certainly bog down the Droid. But since OCing, I've experienced no lag whatsoever.

8. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Northwestern PA, USA
    I'm on Sholes 2.0.5, Home++, Handcent, and about 4 widgets. I'm happy at 800. Definitely a noticeable difference an speed and smoothness from 550(well 600 now). 1G and above makes the basic apps seem a bit TOO fast for me. I only use these speeds for CPU-Taxing apps such as camera apps, video apps, and the like, where the extra speed comes in handy. Once done, I crank back to 800 and sit in my happy zone:)