1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Where do you store your NAND backups?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chopstick2U, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Android Enthusiast

This is my first device without an SD card so I missed out on this bit of corporate knowledge. Where do you store your nandroid and titanium backups? Is there a separate partition on the device? Can I restore a NAND from a USB drive? I'll be bummed if my only option is to flash and restore through my PC. Especially because I hate booting my MacBook into WinXP to use the (awesome) all in one tool.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Atma

Atma Extreme Android User

I would keep at least one nandroid on the N7. There may be some circumstance where you can't communicate with your computer, or your flash drive, but you could get into recovery and restore a nandroid.

There isn't a separate partition for them. There should be a clockworkmod folder if you are using CWM. If you are using TWRP, I can't remember, but there should be a folder with those backups also.

Titanium backups, its really up to you. They aren't as important. Depends how much space you use and want. Restoring will be faster with them on the N7, but an OTG and flash drive setup would work too.

Chopstick2U likes this.
  3. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

TWRP backups on on the sdcard in \TWRP\Backups :D

Atma likes this.
  4. Atma

That's why I couldn't remember. What a silly place to put it. Hiding it like that. :rolleyes: :eek:

colchiro likes this.
  5. Chopstick2U

Good point! I will have access to my stickmount when I'm restoring titanium backups.

Follow up question: does the NAND backup include all the large media files and games? I'm pretty sure that it does since it's all on the same partition. That means, if I want to just keep one current NAND backup on my device, I can't fill more than 50% of my already meager storage capacity.

Fortunately I'm pretty happy with stock JB right now, because all of this is a lot of hassle for someone who is used to flashing ROMs all willy-nilly while on the go. I'll hope that it's only a matter of time before someone figures out how to mount USB drives in recovery.

6. Atma

I never restored one, but I assume it backs up the whole system, like any other android device. Maybe someone who has can answer that better.

If you get around to doing nandroids, try TWRP. It has an option to compress the backups and not take so much space.

7. dautley

dautley Android Expert

With the available amount of memory on the Nexus 7, (especially the 8GB model) I don't know that a NAND is worth the space, especially if you have most of the data accessible elsewhere. Just my humble opinion.:)

8. Atma

If you're just rooted I can see your point. If you're flashing rom's a nandroid can be a lifesaver. :)

9. Chopstick2U

It's essential to have that safety net. I could never flash a ROM without a reliable restore image. The toolkit lets you store backups on your PC, right?

10. Chopstick2U

How much compression are we talking about, here?

11. colchiro

Even if you're rooted, you still need at least one nandroid. :D

12. dautley

dautley Android Expert

That brings up a interesting point and question, can the factory image provided by Google be flashed via CWM?

How hard would it be to brick a Nexus beyond something like Nexus Root toolkit's ability to re flash stock?

13. dautley

dautley Android Expert

I didn't think you could make, install a nandroid without rooting. ??

14. colchiro

How about this then (rephrasing), even if you're ONLY rooted.... :D

15. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

Games installed as apk files would be part of your NAND backup. Media files (as well as anything else placed in your internal storage) would not as they are located in /data/media (which is labeled as multiple other things such as /sdcard, /storage/sdcard0, and /mnt/sdcard) which is not backed up as part of a NAND backup.

Chopstick2U likes this.
  16. Chopstick2U

So the media folder(s) aren't backed up with a NAND. Does that mean they aren't touched by a wipe/flash? Sounds like there are folders that function exactly like the sdcard folder does on my phone.

17. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

Yes that is exactly the case

Chopstick2U likes this.