1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Where does auto date/time come from - cell network or Internet servers?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DaleRAF, Dec 27, 2011.

1. DaleRAF

DaleRAF Lurker

Hi all,

I'd always assumed that "Use network-provided values" for Automatic Date & Time meant to use some kind of low level time / date information buried within the GSM / whatever protocol, but now i'm not so sure...

I recall "back in the day" wondering why my old Nokia 6110 etc. couldn't set the date / time off the network, and more recently as I've been having problems with my Desire i've noticed a correlation between the phone being unable to sync with Google servers and also being unable to set date / time using network-provided values...

...so just wondering what / where does actually provide date / time for Android handsets using the "Use network-provided values" setting...

Ta!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

What network?

3. DaleRAF

DaleRAF Lurker

Hi SUroot

I'm on BT Mobile (Vodafone/UK)

Ta

4. Keith Newman

Keith Newman Newbie

I'm fairly sure that the date and time must come from the mobile network. I have no mobile coverage at home, and if I leave the settings to "use network-provided values", I get an error message that it cannot set the date and time. This is when I am connected to the internet via WiFi.

I'm on Orange, branded - although I doubt if this is an Orange tweak (in spite of the fact that they seem to have tinkered with just about everything else!).

It would useful if the phone could use a network time server (as Windows does now), then I could leave this setting and it could pick up time from the internet or mobile network...

5. Howard Hopkinson

Howard Hopkinson Android Enthusiast

It most definitely comes from your mobile network provider.

6. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Its supposed to but as Rastaman points out, O2 havent got a time server, so it may be teh case with other networks too.

Howard Hopkinson likes this.
  7. countstex

countstex Newbie

I've only had that option work whilst in Europe, never seems to work in the UK. On o2 so as SUroot says it's a no go. I would assume someones made an app that can hook up to an Atmoic clock for you??

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews