1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Where has Google play gone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pwyll1975, May 6, 2012.

1. pwyll1975

pwyll1975 Lurker
    None

May 6, 2012
    hereford
    First post so be gentle.

Problems started yesterday afternoon when I tried to play a video clip stored on my phone. I cant remember the exact error message, but it was along the lines of unable to play media. At the time I thought nothing of it and got on with other stuff.

Tried again later and got the same message. Switched phone off, took out battery and left forhalf an hour to sort itself out.

Upon starting up again half of my apps were missing, including google play. The icons had a dark grey android logo in place of the individual app icon. App names were still there.

When I tried to open any one of them I got "This application is not installed on your phone" error.

Did a software update to 4.0.3 and now tge icons have gone. If I go to google play via the web and try to download the apps again, it tells me that they are already installed on my phone. If they are, I'm damned if I can find them.

Basically I'd like to know what has happened and what I can do to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Advertisement

2. Rachel A

Rachel A Android Expert
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    Female
    DBA & Developer
    In front of my S3
    Where the missing apps stored on Internal memory or an SD card?

3. pwyll1975

pwyll1975 Lurker
    None

May 6, 2012
    hereford
    Good question. I'm afraid the honest, and somewhat dumb, answer is that I'm not sure.

Going back to when i had the darkened icons, there were little sd logos in the bottom corner. I guess this means they were on the sd card. The storage locations confuse my ageing brain tbh.

4. Rachel A

Rachel A Android Expert
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    Female
    DBA & Developer
    In front of my S3
    Can you see your SD card mounted? I gather from your post that you're running ICS so your milage may vary greatly from mine here, but...

... My Incredible (still on FroYo) has taken a big dislike to my SD cards as of late. With my old SD card I had no luck running any of the apps that were App2SD'd and I eventually came to the conclusion that my card was on its last legs (I mounted it on my PC and it started wibbling about corruption). I ended up replacing the card and reinstalling all the apps I had put on the SD since I was unable to get a clean copy of the .Android_Secure folder.

Even now with a new card I find my phone can take 10 minutes or longer once rebooted to find all the apps on there...

5. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    There is a folder called Android_Secure in the microSD card. Some apps would be installed there automatically. You also have a choice to move apps there to save space. The problem is somehow your microSD card got corrupted or something.

You probably have to redownload the affected apps. As for the microSD, maybe you can remove and run some diagnostics on it. Then try remounting it. IF that doesn't work, you could also reformat the card. The ongoing advice is to format using the phone.

If nothing works, get a new microSD.

6. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    I've had this bug 2 or 3 times, just the one app each time with the grey logo though, they all returned like batman. Your situation sounds like it might be beyond a small bug though.

7. Kie

Kie Android Expert
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    Risk and Safety Engineer
    Perth, Australia
    Is your micro sd card Sandisk? The GS2 is very picky with micro sd cards. I tried an unbranded one, then a kingston, then a sandisk. Only the sandisk worked. The others deleted everything and put it all into a LOST.dir folder...

8. cristrguez

cristrguez Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2012
    pwyll,
    what happenned? did it get fix? how?

Just today im having exact same error.

Plis help!!!!!!!

9. pwyll1975

pwyll1975 Lurker
    None

May 6, 2012
    hereford
    Hi there,

Never found out what the fault was or how it happened. Sorted it by doing a hard reboot. If you go down thus route, don't forget to back everything up before you start.

HTH.

Regards,

Paul