• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Where is &amp

Caryllb

Dec 29, 2012
Ok I'm an absolute noob, having done nothing more than unlock my phone. Now I need to root it in order to fix a battery charging issue.

I've been studying all the methods for rooting the exhibit ii and just to be conservative I thought I'd start with the method that doesn't make any changes to the phone itself. I'll look at ROM changes later.

To do this it seems I need to first install CWM. However, to install CWM I must push the &amp button. Some folks have said they find &amp on their keyboard, but I can't find it. I've got 2.3.6 with the standard Samsung keyboard and the swype keyboard. I'm not finding &amp on either of these. Can someone tell me where it is located or how I can get it?

Also, does the phone have to be rooted to install and use Titanium backup or can I do the backup before I root it?

A. Download SGH-T679 USB Drivers(I have hosted them for you)

B. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your Exhibit II by going to Settings/Applications/Development and checking USB debugging.

C. Go ahead and unzip the USB drivers from section A and plug in your Exhibit II to the Computer.

D. When the "Installing New Hardware" or "Installing Drivers" notification comes up, please direct your computer to the unzipped directory. *Some with Windows 7 will not have to worry about this as your computer will automatically install the correct drivers*

E. Download Zerg Rush Root.zip(I have hosted it for you)

F. Unzip Zerg Rush Root.zip and run the batch file(runme.bat)

G. Sit back and watch as your Exhibit II 4G is rooted!

Not sure the links are right, so heres a link to the site
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Sx4lzUhBEO5_g&bvm=bv.1357316858,d.cGE&cad=rja

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Hi Dais,

Thanks for the answer. I've seen references to Zerg Rush Root. But when I look at this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26859796&postcount=1

It specifically says that it won't work with my configuration, a Samsung Galaxy ii 4g with 2.3.6. Although the blog is from back in June 2012. Has this been resolved?

Because of this warning I've been trying to follow their instructions for installing the root stock which involves flashing Clockworkmod using the instructions shown here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26860509&postcount=4

so I can do a backup. Those instructions say I need to press &amp which I cannot find on this phone. Am I not understanding something? I'd like to flash CWM anyway because I want to do a backup before I install a custom kernal and it's here, that press &amp instruction, that I keep getting stuck.

Upvote 0
Well shoot. Why didn't he say so in the first place. I thought I was supposed to press some button called &amp plus the Vol up button simultaneously. The fact that some folks seem to have a &amp button somewhere on their keyboards made that even more confusing.

When I press and hold vol up, do I release it before pressing and holding power? Or are these two done simultaneously?

Thanks for clearing that up.

I had also heard that ROM Manager doesn't work with this phone. Is that now resolved?

Thanks for the .zip file. I'll be working on this little project probably this weekend after I go through all my steps again. I'm hearing about too many folks getting into trouble and I want to make absolutely sure I've got it right before I proceed.

Would you believe I'm going through all this just because ULGV3 won't charge my 3rd party batteries. Why in the world they would release a kernal with that kind of bug in the first place is beyond me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones