• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is my Android Market and IM?

htcherolover

Mar 14, 2010
Hi guys, so I just set up my phone for the first time using the AT&T network for the HTC Hero. Under the All applications section, there is no market on there. Do I have to specially add it or something? Also, I would like to use IM meaning go on AIM with my phone without using the internet or installing the AIM application but it's not there either. Under the Manage my applications the IM application is there but not the market application. My main priority is being able to access the app store. Any ways to resolve this? I am running android 1.5. Any way to upgrade the firmware too? Thanks!

Utterly, utterly insane, isnt it? It's almost as if theyre *trying* to encourage people to establish a thriving android piracy scene. Cretins!

Rooting + installing a custom ROM should sort it out for you though. Also you'll probably want to install market enabler so that you can actually buy stuff from the market once you get access to it.

Upvote 0
Ahh.. I'm kinda afraid to screw up the phone while rooting it. Anybody know of a very descriptive tutorial I can use? I've tried searching the forum. All of em seem to require a market app. i also have the market enabler installed. When I try to fake the provider it says "We have a problem, Houston" Does it need to be rooted before the app will work or something?

Upvote 0
Yeah, it will need to be rooted.

I did mine just the other day, and i too initially found it pretty hard going, lots of conflicting information spread about all over the place.

Then i found this post. Rooting and installing modaco rom (recommended, its faster than the stock 2.73 build and has market enabler built in, see this thread) took less than 30 mins after that, and that includes downloading the files.

Upvote 0
I have one problem, I don't have the ASTRO file manager because I have no market. So how do I go around that problem?
Well... you dont specifically need astro itself, that's just an easy way to install apps outside the market, there are other apps that will do this... but... you would need astro to install them... or them to install astro or... erm... :thinking: catch22.

So I download astro file manager from slideme?
Even if you did you would still have to install it somehow. And if you can install astro you dont need it in the first place since you could use the same method to install the instant root apk.

Um... i have no idea how you would do this . So... you've been sold a smart phone that has no way to install applications on it? WTF?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones