• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is my OTA

I have not received an OTA notification yet either.

I was at a Verizon store the other day and asked a tech about the update. She said that the update is rolling out slowly and no one in Verizon knew when the end date was supposed to be. Now, this is coming from a lady who works at a Verizon store as a tech. Chances are that she simply just wants to collect a pay check and not actually care about the information she gives out. Take this for what it's worth, but I am starting to believe that she was telling the truth.

Maybe Verizon is pushing the update much slower than last time due to the increase in Droid owners.

Kratos

Upvote 0

I was at a Verizon store the other day and asked a tech about the update. She said that the update is rolling out slowly and no one in Verizon knew when the end date was supposed to be. Now, this is coming from a lady who works at a Verizon store as a tech. Chances are that she simply just wants to collect a pay check and not actually care about the information she gives out. Take this for what it's worth, but I am starting to believe that she was telling the truth.

Maybe Verizon is pushing the update much slower than last time due to the increase in Droid owners.

Kratos

I think I would believe this as well. The stuff that said the 18th is probably from when they first started rolling it out and does not take the fact that they stopped the OTA for almost a week into account.

Upvote 0
Thats bad news if accurate. I was still under the impression that 18th was the set date for the first update to be completly rolled out. I havnt really heard any other reports of anything other than that date. But being the 18th and still not having the update I'm not sure what's up. I dont know if there is still a chance that it will come today or if it was coming out today I'd have it by now.

Upvote 0
Thats bad news if accurate. I was still under the impression that 18th was the set date for the first update to be completly rolled out. I havnt really heard any other reports of anything other than that date. But being the 18th and still not having the update I'm not sure what's up. I dont know if there is still a chance that it will come today or if it was coming out today I'd have it by now.

As far as whether you would already have it if you were going to get it today, I would say probably not. Almost everyone who has received the update has gotten the notification at sporadic times throughout the day.

Also, there are many articles on the web about the Droid Froyo update. All of them mention August 18, 2010 as a prospective end date, but there has not been any official statement given by Verizon or Motorola about a rollout end date. This phandroid.com article released today basically sums it all up: Has Your Droid Pulled Down the Upgrade to Android 2.2 Yet? | Android Phone Fans.

Just remember that August 18, 2010 is just a rumor and all we know for sure is that the update is rolling out. If the tech lady I was talking to was telling the truth, then it could be a while before everyone gets the OTA.

Also, OMJ has a good point in his post here:
I think I would believe this as well. The stuff that said the 18th is probably from when they first started rolling it out and does not take the fact that they stopped the OTA for almost a week into account.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Nothing here - Charlotte, NC. May be a blessing in disguise, maybe we will jump straight to FRG22 instead of going through the FRG10B issues.

Los Angeles : I got it last night at 11:08pm and it is indeed FRG10B... took about 15 minutes to finish the update... I suspect the OTA rollout will continue until every Droid has been touched, I wouldn't worry about VZW abruptly terminating on an arbitrary date.

It seems to have serious difficulty pinpointing My Location for weather via 3G so the Weather Channel and News & Weather widgets are struggling... but I like the extra home screens and the top level view of all screens... runs or at least feels faster than before update

Upvote 0

Kratos

It appears that the lady hit the nail on the head. As far as the OTA rolling out slowly, she's telling the truth. Do they know when the end date will be? Maybe, maybe not. Give her the benefit of the doubt. Her higher ups probably don't know either.

I went to the local Verizon Wireless store to buy a 32 Gb card for my Droid. I asked them about the OTA update. They actually referred my to a link to Droid Life where I could download it and load it manually. That's pretty bad!

Upvote 0
It appears that the lady hit the nail on the head. As far as the OTA rolling out slowly, she's telling the truth. Do they know when the end date will be? Maybe, maybe not. Give her the benefit of the doubt. Her higher ups probably don't know either.

I went to the local Verizon Wireless store to buy a 32 Gb card for my Droid. I asked them about the OTA update. They actually referred my to a link to Droid Life where I could download it and load it manually. That's pretty bad!

[OFF TOPIC]
There is/was a forum member who posted that he took his phone in to have it looked at. The tech who looked at it was amazed at the customization that was done to the phone. The forum member told the tech that he was running Bugless Beast (if I remember right) and had overclocked his droid. The forum member said that that he and the tech talked about it for a long time and the tech never once said a word about the warranty void or anything.

I think that the techs are mostly just like us and probably visit these forums as much as we do. They more than likely root their phones, overclock, flash ROM's, and everything else just like us.
[/OFF TOPIC]

But to stay on topic, I am thinking that she was probably telling the truth to the best of her knowledge. I just have to wonder sometimes if they don't just talk out their butts because either they honestly don't know or don't care. But yes, given the circumstances, she was probably telling the truth in that no one really knows how long it may take to push the update to every Droid.

Again, that's just my thoughts though. Sometimes the little guy in my head screws with me just for the fun of it.

Kratos

Upvote 0
[OFF TOPIC]
There is/was a forum member who posted that he took his phone in to have it looked at. The tech who looked at it was amazed at the customization that was done to the phone. The forum member told the tech that he was running Bugless Beast (if I remember right) and had overclocked his droid. The forum member said that that he and the tech talked about it for a long time and the tech never once said a word about the warranty void or anything.

I think that the techs are mostly just like us and probably visit these forums as much as we do. They more than likely root their phones, overclock, flash ROM's, and everything else just like us.
[/OFF TOPIC]

But to stay on topic, I am thinking that she was probably telling the truth to the best of her knowledge. I just have to wonder sometimes if they don't just talk out their butts because either they honestly don't know or don't care. But yes, given the circumstances, she was probably telling the truth in that no one really knows how long it may take to push the update to every Droid.

Again, that's just my thoughts though. Sometimes the little guy in my head screws with me just for the fun of it.

Kratos

I wasn't complaining that I had not received the OTA. I just wanted to hear what they had to say about it. It was cool of the rep to help me find a way to get the update. What I meant about it being bad was that he could not say much about the OTA itself. I could tell that he wanted to say some negative things but he stopped himself.

He sent me the Droid Life link via e-mail. Apparently, it was sent to most of the VZW stores in our area.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones