1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Where is my Return Key?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nekizalb13, Jun 5, 2011.

1. nekizalb13

nekizalb13 Lurker
    None

May 1, 2011
    I'm so sorry to sound stupid, but where on my standard Nexus S Gingerbread keyboard can I find my Return key for text messaging? When I go to Gmail, I can easily see it, but when I am texting the spot is replaced with an emoticon key that I never use.

Can anyone help me find my Return key when I'm texting? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    The SMS keyboard doesn't have a return key, likely because a smiley key is much more useful since SMS's are so short that there's no need for a return key.

Other keyboards, such as those on the Marketplace, may have a return key in SMS mode.

3. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

You're correct, i use SwiftKey and i have a return key for texts and email.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    bits & bytes
    left coast USA
    For me, it's different -- a function of messaging app, not input method.

Using native Messaging, there's only the smiley, with Android keyboard, Swype, and FlexT9.

Using chompSMS, there's Enter with all three. (Remembered after the fact that this is a Settings option in chomp: you can select either Smiley or Enter.)

5. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Just curious...why do you need to hit the return in a text message? I've never needed to do that since texts are so short anyway. In emails sure, but in a text, never...
    :thinking:

6. Wildsmock

Wildsmock Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    well who r they to choose? I'll decide it for myself wether I'm gonna use a return key or not. there should b a option to choose between smileys & the return key. we can always type in a smiley but can't find a alternative for the return key. & YES WE DO NEED THE RETURN KEY IN THE SMS MODE to insert a new line. sms is not always that short. thanx folks.

7. ddddddddddd

ddddddddddd Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2013
    The lack of a return key is exactly why I switched to an iphone. How ******ed are these android developers? You take a standard feature on every keyboard and switch it to a smiley face? Is that a joke? I bet they thought it was an intuitve idea, when in reality everyone hates it, and no one even uses the smiley face with a nose anyways. When I text, I like to separate ideas with spaces, thanks for taking that away from me and forcing my to buy an iPhone. Google... you should kill yourself.

8. ddddddddddd

ddddddddddd Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2013
    You're an idiot, If you send a long text and don't separate ideas with spaces it looks jumbled.

9. starg8t

starg8t Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2014
    I know this is 17 months late, but maybe someone else currently (August, 2014 and beyond) will need this information:
    Go to Google PlayStore and search for Android L Keyboard Pro (it is free). It will give you a nice keyboard for SMS Texting with a return key. Also, the nice thing about this particular app. is that it doesn't require access to your camera and microphone. I don't want anyone having access to my camera and microphone. It also doesn't record your input (passwords and credit card numbers). It merely gives the user a return key on their SMS Texting window. Lastly, I see others mentioning/questioning why a person would want a return key with texting when the messages are so short anyway. That is irrelevant since obviously some people want a return key. It's not a debate, it's a preference.

10. chipmunkk

chipmunkk Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2014
    Here we go!!

If you want to use the enter key in Hangouts or any other chat program that restricts the key, simply hold down shift and the smiley key becomes the enter key.

If you're a fan of gesture typing as I am, then you need only drag from shift to enter in order to insert a new line.

Tags: