1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Where is the Droid 49.99 data only Plan?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by snipercon, Nov 6, 2009.

1. snipercon

snipercon Member

Nov 6, 2009
    There was mention of a data only plan for 49.99.
    I have not seen it anywhere on the verizon site for the droid. I was thinking of getting it and using Google Voice instead of a voice plan.

Is that possible?

Advertisement

2. Forsakenfire

Forsakenfire Member

Nov 6, 2009
    No, need some sorta minutes plan and a data plan.

3. snipercon

snipercon Member

Nov 6, 2009
  4. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    IT
    I'm guessing that this plan is for someone who is deaf, mute, or severely hard of hearing. It may be a special request. I'm not sure if you have to prove the disability or not, but this is just my guess.

5. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I have the Droid and the $49 data-only plan sitting in my checkout cart at the Phandroid-Verizon site right now. I'm confused as to if I should actually order this or do the safe, $70 voice+data plan. Should I order this?!?

6. snipercon

snipercon Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Do it and tell me if Google Voice works on it, and we will both have a 50 dollar plan that will do unlimited voice and data, (up to 5GB/month at least)

7. snipercon

snipercon Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I wonder would you still be able to call any other verizon phone for FREE on their free mobile to mobile calls with data only?

8. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

Nov 6, 2009
    So I went to three different stores in the last few days to ask about the Droid and if I could get a data-only plan. I go three different "No" answers:

Best Buy Mobile... said I had to get a voice plan, and that I'd have to pay $10/mo for navigation. Clearly didn't know what he was talking about.

Verizon Wireless Authorized Dealer... said the only data-only plans from Verizon were cards for laptops and such. The VZW website clearly lists a PDA/Smartphone data-only plan. Don't think he knew what he was talking about.

Official Verizon Wireless store... said VZW would require you to get a voice plan because VoIP + Google Voice would still use voice minutes in their systems. I don't think that's technically correct, VoIP is just data traffic. Unless VZW is secretly using VoIP for it's voice service already.

I think I'm going to order it. I figure the worst that can happen is Verizon won't activate the phone and I'll have to switch to the $70 plan I grudingly was going to get anyways.

9. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I doubt it. I have a Google Voice account to handle incoming calls, and Gizmo 5 to handle outgoing calls. I admittedly haven't used either of at all since I got the accounts. In fact I was a Grand Central customer before Google bought them. I just was uncomfortable making a 'free' phone number my main point of contact.

Anyways, voice calls are $0.25/min with the data-only plan. I don't think there's any breaks.

10. JoeFresco

JoeFresco Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Austin, TX
    It may not matter to you, but if you pay an extra $5/mo, you get unlimited texting. I know GV handles this, but it might be worth it to have the normal texting

11. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I thought to go from no texting to 250 texts/month was $5 extra... How did you get unlimited for just $5 more?

12. snipercon

snipercon Member

Nov 6, 2009

Let me know how it works!

13. RobotJaxxon

RobotJaxxon Member

Nov 6, 2009
    FWIW, my Droid order was held up and I had to contact VZW. They told me the $50 data-only plan is not compatible with the Droid and so I got the $40 + $30 plan. So that's that, no sneaking around that VZW crew.

When I get the phone I'll see if I can get VoIP working anyways. I'm curious if VZW will charge VoIP calls as data or voice minutes.