1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Where is the fix for GB?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ScubaCA, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ScubaCA

ScubaCA Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    I've SBF'd back to froyo after updating to horror that was GB and about a month later I am wondering, where the hell is the update to fix Gingerbread?!

Not to quote Jar-Jar Binks but, "Any help here would be hot..."

Advertisement

2. rehpyc

rehpyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    It comes when in comes...

3. boxthrower

boxthrower Member
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    There is a fix... Flash a custom ROM like Liberty. All the same features of GB without all the bloat slowing you down! I have been using it for a few months now with NO issues whatsoever.

4. rghoff90

rghoff90 Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    i never have problems with any of the updates gb is awesome an im loving every second of it lol

5. RMM

RMM Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    Here's the fix to super buggy GB 596:

SETTINGS->PRIVACY->FACTORY DATA RESET

This WILL ERASE YOUR DATA but clearing data+cache is the #1 fix for buggy upgrades!

6. mac16

mac16 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    Apex 2.0

But seriously, a fix for what?

7. ScubaCA

ScubaCA Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    My biggest issue is the camera setting not sticking. Is that not happening with the rest of you?

8. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    lol and you think that is going to be fixed in the update? I think you and maybe 2 other people are the only ones that i've seen this unpleased with GB. I think GB really hit the mark for the DX. Moto obviously listened to people complaining about Blur and made some serious changes.

seriously you may want to try reloading .596 from a clean slate and see if you still have any issues. As far as the camera glitch. You can try using a diff camera app from the Market. There are a few really popular ones.

Just so you know when the update does drop. I can guarantee you that there will be bugs in it as well. There is no such thing as a perfect build. Software companies categorize bugs and sometimes there are some that don't get fixed at all in that iteration of the software(gb).

9. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010

Frankly...if that is the biggest issue in software release of this magnitude...Moto is doing something right...

There are small bugs in this release...the camera settings being one ...but unless you got a bad install on your hands GB is MUCH better than the first release of Froyo (or Eclair for that matter)

10. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    That sucks, but I can live with it. My biggest issue is having to reboot 3 or more times a week because it looses cell connection and won't get it back without a reboot. Never had that problem on Froyo. And that's a much bigger issue for a phone than camera settings. Especially if I'm home and on WiFi, I can (and have) lost cell connection, but had no idea because data still works fine on WiFi. But if someone tries to call me, they can't reach me, and I have no idea that anyone was trying to get a hold of me. This really needs to get fixed with the quickness.

11. kg2128

kg2128 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    +1

OP there is no "horror" with the GB update, that is why there hasn't been some emergency patch. It's been good enough that I will gladly use it until CM7 gets a more stable release.

12. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    I'd call the 3G dropping issues pretty big and something that needs to be fixed quickly.

deemedic likes this.
  13. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    not an issue that im experiencing at all...which leads me to believe its an issue with your install...not GB itself...

14. deemedic

deemedic Member
    None

I'm with Hrethgir on this one! I have never had to reboot my phone so often, I feel like I need to go back to a BBry. I drop 3g Cell service, my phone reboots on it's own (guess it must know or something), text messages fail, dialing out fails, camera doesn't stay on, app icons disappear from my home screens when some apps update (so much so that now I don't even bother putting icons on my home screens because what is the point if I have to keep replacing them), doesn't recognize phone numbers or URLs in text as well as Froyo so clicking on them doesn't get you your Dialer or Nav as constantly as it used to. Every day I find something new about GB I can't stand.

I came on here today to search and see if anybody else is having these issues, and I found out I am not alone certainly for the drop of service stuff but the other things I will have to continue to search and see if other people are experiencing what I am overall. I am hoping there is a fix but I do agree with Metfanant to a point that maybe the install is to blame if not everyone is having an issue.

How can I reload the install of GB or worse case go back to Froyo? My phone is not rooted, nor do I want it to be.

15. mruno

mruno Android Expert
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    Male
    Home
  16. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    p3droid has said there is an OTA coming for the Droid X its a fix for some GB issues

17. bouchigo

bouchigo Android Expert
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    Production Engineer Mngr.
    Stockton, CA
    Best thing to do is just be patient; when it comes it comes, nothing you can do to speed it up.

18. rehpyc

rehpyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    I hear standing on one leg, sticking one arm straight up into the air, and yelling cock-a-doodle-doo 3 times will help speed the process

19. spb21

spb21 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    I am not having any problems. My phone is running better than it ever has and my battery life is amazing (90% after 9 hours with light use).

deemedic - your problems sound alot like what I was experiencing for awhile. If you are running the original (not through the market) Launcher Pro Plus then you should uninstall and then reinstall through the market. I'm not sure why, but doing this completely changed my opinion about this phone and about GB. I also ditched widget locker at the same time, but LPP was the problem child for me, I'm almost certain.

20. wabmorgan

wabmorgan Member
    None

May 29, 2011
    I would have to agree with the pro-gingerbread side. I have experienced no major problems.... if any.

21. mhome

mhome Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    More than just his/hers, a lot of installs are having this exact issue, both rooted unrooted. Myself I've sbf'd back twice, still lose connectivity. Wifes unrooted does the same thing.

22. mfzero

mfzero Newbie
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Service Manager
    Haverhill, Ma.
    just started experiencing this. weeks after updating. sweet.

23. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    My brother had nothing but trouble from the minute he took the OTA for GB. After 2 resets and no improvement,the verizon store gave him a recon phone,that phone had bugs and glitches,dropped 3g,was worse than the first,and it had gb on it ,when he got it,verizon insisted on giving him another 2 days later....this one has horrible battery life,about half what it was on froyo and is freezing,requiring battery pulls.he finally had enough ,and he is now on the dark side,after 8 months of resisting me telling him to root/mod,I sbfed him back to froyo,and phone is perfect....trouble free for 3 weeks now. I took the OTA,and my phone had terrible battery life,and the ringtone was spassing out,it would ring 3x for every text/ email..very annoying. SBF back to froyo and everything is fixed amazing....Gingerbread is not all roses,there are some real issues with some devices...most owners want nothing more than to go back to what they had....something verizon will not let you do..

24. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010

Proof of this statement??

25. mhome

mhome Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    Arr you saying if I call Verizon they will send froyo back at me OTA.
    Or would they do it in the store?