• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is the ghost in this machine?

Do machines, being highly organized structures of energy, have a soul?

• No, machines are indistinguishable from life in this way but do not live and so do not have a soul.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My original droid has been tagging along happily since late 2009. A few days ago, after pulling through several disasters, it flew briefly executed a hard landing and died.

I'm going to have to replace several parts based on the horrible damage suffered and I'm wondering what the limit is. Is Froyo tied to certain chips somehow or are certain chips, including the SIM, tied to certain peripherals. I am going to keep the motherboard if I can which is why I'm asking. I am buying a working remanufactured phone for parts only. I am compelled to preserve the soul of this small device that has served me so faithfully.

I'm guessing that nothing in Froyo is specifically tied to anything due to open source, but I don't know about the rest of it. If anyone does know it would save me a lot of swapping things back and forth in case components are connected together through hardware identification. Thanks if you are able to assist

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones