• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Where should I begin..?

Havoc93

Lurker
May 26, 2010
Hello everyone! I'm very interested in programming and would love to program applications for mobile devices (preferably Android over iPhone, which I was going to do originally). Anyway, I really want to learn how to program for the Android phones and was wondering if anyone could give any advice as to where to start? I'm new to programming, having no prior knowledge of it. I Just picked up some C# and C++ books, but than shortly after learned that Java is the basic language of Android. Is Java what i should focus on first? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Java is a good place to start since, as you noted correctly Android apps are programed in Java.

how and where to start really depends on your programming experience. if you have never coded anything then you're probably going to want to grab a book that focuses on teaching the basic concepts of programming (variables, functions, strings, program flow, etc, etc). The most ideal book for your case would be one that does that through Java (since ultimately thats what you want to learn).

if you have experience with programming then I would start with the Java Website which I've found to be fairly helpful in teaching myself Java.

Once you have a basic understanding of Java (enough to understand Syntax, Classes, Methods, Interfaces, etc) you could start suplementing your learning with the Android Tutorials to begin to familiarize yourself with the important Android Classes, methods, etc.

I think as a general Strategy you should learn enough Java to begin to understand Android and then use Android as the driving motivation to learn more Java!

Reactions: Havoc93
Upvote 0
Hey VIO, thanks a lot for your reply, just picked up Java for Dummies and Professional Android 2 Application development book the other day. I have been reading Java for Dummies currently (which is very well written in my opinion) and enjoying every bit of it.
Thanks for the advice again! And also, I currently own an iPhone 3GS and in the future was considering picking up an Evo 4G... if I don't wind up picking up an android based phone, do you think it will be difficult for me to program for such phones without physical testing? Do they have simulators on the computer?

Upvote 0
well the Android SDK comes with a device emulator for testing, and certainly it's possible to test apps without the actual device (hell every one is different and most devs probably don't own one of each!).

that being said the best way of testing most things are in situations most like the ones they will be used in, and in this case that would be on an actual phone. Nothing beats using an actual device to really make sure it works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones