• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where to get books?

bgrutter

Android Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2010
So, i've looked through the list of all the threads and haven't seen any that touch this topic. So, if i missed the obvious, please point me in the right direction.

Where do most people turn to obtain books? My wife pond to use the NC as a reader and i plan to use it as a Tablet. I've got the tablet part worked out, but now i need to get the reader part situated.

TIA!

So, i've looked through the list of all the threads and haven't seen any that touch this topic. So, if i missed the obvious, please point me in the right direction.

Where do most people turn to obtain books? My wife pond to use the NC as a reader and i plan to use it as a Tablet. I've got the tablet part worked out, but now i need to get the reader part situated.

TIA!

Well, you can always open up your app drawer and click on the "shop" icon. This takes you to the built in B&N store. You had to set up an account before you rooted...so you can just browse through the 2.5 Million titles they have there.

If that's not enough, you can download the kindle app and browse through the 700K+ titles they have.

Outside of that...I don't know where else you can go to buy books. :D

For future posts on this topic...LET'S KEEP THIS DISCUSSION LEGAL...Please no posting of torrent sites or anything of that nature.

Sorry...just wanted to get that out of the way just in case. ;)

Upvote 0
But of course ;)

So, what about the public libraries? Many of them have free copies of downloadable books. I've read that the NC can't get those. Is there any truth to that.

It could be that the built in nook app doesn't allow certain types of files...but you're rooted with Android market. You could always download different types of e-book readers like Aldiko that may allow for different side-loaded e-books that you may already own or free download via the e-book reader apps themselves.

Edit: Just so you know...I'm not much of a reader ;)

Upvote 0
Laputa is my choice. They have a pretty good selection of classics and newer books. Get it at the market.

Last time I looked at Laputa they had all kinds of pirated material on there. As a wannabe author myself I can't support any app that encourages piracy of books. Has that changed on the app? I confess I haven't used it in forever.

Edit: Just fired up Laputa. Found pirated material in about 15 seconds.

My recommendations for places to find legal books (in no particular order)

BN's store
Kindle store through the Kindle app
Gutenberg Project
Local library

Additionally, there are various stores across the web that sell ebooks. You would have to buy them and side load them via Calibre.

Reactions: euph_22 and xmr405o
Upvote 0
Last time I looked at Laputa they had all kinds of pirated material on there. As a wannabe author myself I can't support any app that encourages piracy of books. Has that changed on the app? I confess I haven't used it in forever.

Edit: Just fired up Laputa. Found pirated material in about 15 seconds.

My recommendations for places to find legal books (in no particular order)

BN's store
Kindle store through the Kindle app
Gutenberg Project
Local library

Additionally, there are various stores across the web that sell ebooks. You would have to buy them and side load them via Calibre.

Its probably my ignorance thinking anything in the android market was good to go. :thinking:

Anyways, I am no advocate of piracy. Which makes it ironic that I have a parrot on my androidify android. Doh!

I removed the app.

Upvote 0
For library books..... Most libraries near me use overdrive for their book lending. I haven't tried it out yet, but I saw the other day that overdrive has its own app now. It may or may not be up to par with nook's library app as far as ability to change color/brightness, but if you don't want to deal with the hassle of sideloading library books on, it might be worth a try.

Also, if you choose to get the kindle app, jungle-search.com has an option to subscribe via email to be contacted anytime there is a promotional free book through Amazon. Usually a couple every day, sometimes only free for the day though, so you gotta act fast if it's a book you are interested in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones