• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

where to get help upgrading

Frank

Aug 3, 2009
This is a general question. I am not a tech type guy and I am afraid that I could not root my Rogers HTC Magic. I would like to update the system to 1.6 or better.

Are there stores or businesses in Vancouver, Canada that would do this for a fee? I use an unlocked phone and am not with Rogers wireless.

I spend a lot of time in Hong Kong. Is there a business there that can do it?

Hi Frank,

No stores will do this or assist you in doing this, specially when your device doesn't come directly from them and it's not tied to any of their services.

I have an HTC Dream which I upgraded to Cyanogen Mod's ROM, which includes root access and many, many features and improvements. I did it myself carefully following instructions on the Wiki.

If you require help or have questions about the process, I'd suggest you connect to the IRC chat channel on the web at:
CyanogenMod Wiki

For your phone the specific guide you should follow is here:
Full Update Guide - G1/Dream Firmware to CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki

Since you're using a device specific to the Canadian market I'd also suggest you join this small but growing group of Android users in Canada:
Android users in Canada | Google Groups

Good luck,

Fabian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones