• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where to get movies for Evo?

Unfortunately there aren't a ton of legit ways to download unencumbered digital video from the net. Movie studios don't want lots of DRM-free files floating around so for the most part, movies are only available from very locked-down sources like iTunes.

Your best bet is to rip your own DVDs and BluRays and then convert them. If you don't have the ability to do that, I guess theoretically you can buy the DVD/BR and then download a ripped copy from p2p or whatever but you still run the risk of legal action even if it's not particularly immoral to download a copy of something you already bought. The third option is just to be a dick and download without paying anything. That's neither legally nor morally cool IMO.

Reactions: wazzap1101
Upvote 0
:( so no on the fly movie download, at least not yet

Amazon has a video store and offers digital downloads. Has anyone every tried them?

Are they downloads where you get a video file or do you need to use some program to stream them or watch them? I always thought their store was VOD. If there is a file you can download, it's just a matter of getting around any restrictions that the movie studios have required. Typically they don't want anyone distributing their movies without any restrictions because otherwise you could just download a movie then give it to everyone you know.

Upvote 0
You can do what "my friend" does occassionally. "He" gets movies from Netflix and then rips them down to the media in question. Since "he" is watching a movie he paid to watch, he doesn't think it's immoral, since he doesn't keep them. He just watches them in a different format.

Techinically still against the law, although I will admit that the law is stupid in that regard.

Upvote 0
iTunes has a video store where you can purchase and download movies straight from the iPod. On my Pre, there is an amazon mp3 store, any chance there will be some sort of movie store on the Evo for on the spot purchase and download? Maybe through amazon?

Use itunes...download the videos you want there....use Double Twist and load those videos to your phone?

Upvote 0
Doesn't the HD2 have a way to download movies from Blockbuster? Wouldn't this be possible for the EVO?

The HD2 runs the Windows Mobile OS, while the Evo runs the Android OS - I'm not sure that a Blockbuster app exists on Android.

I anticipate Google launching a media distribution channel in the market, but who knows when that will happen. They briefly touched on it at I/O if I recall right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones