1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Where to save apps ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eddie_g87, Jun 12, 2011.

1. eddie_g87

eddie_g87 Lurker
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out whats better?

Saving your apps on the sd card or on the phone?

I'm trying to make the phone run faster, save some battery , etc..
    Anyone know the pros and cons?

im a noob sorry : /
    I just rooted my phone wireless tethering is working awesome... i just dont know what apps to get too..

thanks

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    first off, welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    moved your thread over to the rooting section.

3. scudder

scudder Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2010
    Male
    Ex-attorney ("retired" at 27)...
    State of Confusion (FL too)
    This has been my experience that I'll share. Some my disagree, some may have had better or worse stories, but here it mine for thought...

Some other more experienced guys will either be able to explain better or confirm/correct, but I kinda sorta THINK that stuff running off the INTERNAL memory might run a bit smoother/faster/quicker than if installed on the SD card. Something I recall about reading off the internal being faster than reading the data off the SD card. Also, some apps MUST be on the internal memory of the phone otherwise they simply WILL NOT WORK if installed on the SD card.

That being said, I'm not sure if the difference in speed will really be noticeable by a "human." Personally, what I do is if an app CAN be moved to the SD card, I MOVE IT to the SD card. I have found that "stuffing" my internal memory full of apps so that there is not too much internal space available SIGNIFICANTLY slows down my phone. Keeping the internal memory with some "breathing room" has made my phone run faster.

And now I'll mention something else you can do now that you mentioned you are a newly rooted guy! I was (am!) one for downloading a whoooooole bunch of crap. Rooted my phone back in late 2010 and one thing I was looking forward to doing was the ability to FORCE-MOVE apps from the internal memory to the SD card EVEN THOUGH the developers hadn't yet "allowed" or otherwise wrote that ability into their app code. Some apps can be installed on the SD with no problem but, if you are rooted, you can FORCE apps that can "only" be installed on the internal memory of the phone onto the SD card!

Well, sounds FANTASTIC as you can, theoretically move EVERYTHING to the SD card and have a nice, empty super-fast phone. PROBLEM is that you have to be VERY CAREFUL force-moving apps from the internal memory to the SD card because you can really screw some stuff up. For one thing, anything with a widget force-moved will mess up the widget. Also, if you start moving a whole bunch of system apps from the the internal to the SD memory, you'll brick your phone in a heartbeat. There are a bunch of posts here discussing what you can and CANNOT safely move from the internal memory to the SD card.

I'm not TOTALLY sure that my moving to things that were "safe to move" but not quite "allowed" to be moved by the app developers but soon after I started having issues with my SD card NOT being read. ANY apps...allowed to be there or forced there by me...would NOT load and could NOT be read. Long story short, I wound up having to reformat my card and, eventually, clean-fresh-wiped my phone. The reformat and/or the clean wipe seemed to fix the problem of my SD apps not being accessed.

I have recently installed Gingerbread stock ROM 2.3 on my phone and before doing so, I MADE CERTAIN that I kept a PERFECTLY functioning nandroid backup of my Froyo 2.2 juuuuust before I flashed to 2.3. And I also have made certain I kept a PERFECTLY functioning nandroid backup of my current Gingerbread configuration. That way if ANYTHING gets screwed up, I just FLASH BACK to a nandroid recovery of 2.2 or 2.3.

At the present moment, I have NOT FORCE-MOVED ANYTHING from my internal memory to my SD card. Instead, I've exhibited some self control in culling and uninstalling crap I just do NOT use! I love weather apps but I do NOT think I need FOUR....I played around with some Launchers but really LIKE LauncherPro so I trashed GO's launcher and ADW. Just some housekeeping and some control is all I have been doing.

THAT BEING SAID, what I HAVE done to satisfy my "oh no, what if I one day in the next DECADE NEEEEEED to have a certain app" problem is to download some apps and simply make a BACKUP with Titanium and then UNINSTALL them. That way I have a nice backup of ANY app that I have installed that I can install again, if/when needed, at any time!! I've actually done that with some "seasonal" apps...e.g., I have a Hurricane app that I did NOT need here in FL when it was NOT hurricane season so I archived it with Titanium. Now that hurricane season has started again, I'm going to reinstall the app to use for the next few months!

I may...MAY even get BOLD and force-move some apps from the internal memory to the SD card that aren't yet "allowed" to be moved to the SD card but will (1) do so with GREAT CARE and (2) only, ONLY if I have a recent nandroid backup to flash back to. However, at the moment, I don't feel an overwhelming need to do so...

Anyway, hope my experience might help. Not sure if your original question was about putting apps on the SD card "generally" or doing the force-move that I experimented with!

eddie_g87 likes this.
  4. eddie_g87

eddie_g87 Lurker
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    hey , now that you just went to gingerbread ,can you help me out?, I'm totally new to this and im afraid i could brick the phone. I just received a message for a system upgrade, and every time I try to install it , it reboots, and I get the message Failed to verify E: signature, something like that... I don't know if im suppose to this upgrade by the message I received , or should i try it a different way? Thanks in advanced!

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DO NOT ACCEPT THE OTA IF YOU ARE ROOTED. it really could boink your phone. what is your hboot? and do you have a custom recovery?

Tags: