1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Where to start making Android Games?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by TheCompBoy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. TheCompBoy

TheCompBoy Android Enthusiast

I finished making some normal applications for android but now i want to try something new.. And that is to make my own Android game.. So i wonder now what do i need before getting started? Is there some library i should use or some tools??
    If it is where do i get em? And is there some tutorial or some guide or article i can read before i start to get some knowledge.. I don't have affort any books at the moment!

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Android Expert

If you are not sure where to start, you are not really ready to tackle the challenge of game programming, let alone game programming on mobile devices with limited resources. I don't mean any offense by this, so please don't feel insulted. With that said, the first thing you will want to do is study up on game engine development, as this will be the core of your game(s). Once you get the core functionality down in your game engine, you can move on to researching the various gameplay concepts, such as AI, quests, etc...

Your best bet for games, whether it's for Windows, Linux, Android, or even iOS, is to check out gamedev.net. There are some very intelligent people over there that specialize in game development for all kinds of platforms using all kinds of languages.

3. TheCompBoy

Well Well.. U got any resources i can read or learn from?

4. JiMMaR

JiMMaR Android Enthusiast

you may wanna use a game engine to do your work
    an example of a game engine is cocos2d , it's ported from the iphone objective-C version
    I found this tutorial pretty useful to get an understanding of the idea of game engines

Dan Clarke Blog Archive How To Make A Simple Android Game with Cocos2D

I also finished porting the same game to AndEngine, I will probably post it as tutorial soon

5. TheCompBoy

Intresting stuff... Tho i didn't find much more tutorials than you linked for cocos2D.. But i will check it out.

6. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Android Expert

Have you looked at gamedev.net yet? There are loads of resources over there.

By the way, it seems that you have the misconception that game development will only take you a few days to learn if you already know how to develop apps. In reality, this is not the case. Game development and app development are two entirely different animals. The concepts are entirely different at every level. The most fundamental of differences is that apps are event-driven, while games are real-time. It's not something you can just read a couple tutorials on and go with it.

7. TheCompBoy

I know.. i made already games in c++ with allegro library i mostly wonder if there is any libraries for android gale developement.. But i got what i was looking for so.. Thread solved i guess.