1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Where to start with supporting software for Droid X rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by f250jr, Jun 4, 2011.

1. f250jr

f250jr Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    Ok so I've got my new Droid X being shipped to me from Verizon right now, to replace my BB 8530.

I've been doing a lot of reading about rooting, I'm aware of the risk, etc., and I still want to root...in fact that's a large reason for me switching to the Droid X to begin with.

I've never done any modifying on my blackberry, although I'm quite experienced with jailbreaking for iphones and ipods.

Im just at a little bit of an impasse right now. I know that I want to root with the Gingerbread .596 software, but I am having trouble figuring out which files/DIY instructions are relevant to me. Also, I have a mac laptop which I will be doing any computer support with, and I haven't been able to find ANY information on supporting software for computers.

I'm just a little bit confused as to where I need to start with the whole rooting process. I know i need to download certain files, then install them on the phone, etc. What about backups though? Do I need to download any of the android backup apps on my mac or droid BEFORE I start the root/gingerbread update, or is the rooting/updating the very first step? Which one of the DIY threads would be applicable to a user going DIRECTLY from a stock Verizon Droid to the Gingerbread OS?

I would just appreciate a little bit of guidance. Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement

2. woodstorm

woodstorm Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    I do "stuff" for "acquaintances"...
    NOLA
    Try here. I think he covers Mac.

http://roooler.com/

3. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    Male
    VW mechanic
    Tacoma, Washington
    ^^^yup^^^ It is possible you may get the device with the OTA .596 on it already, if thet is the case (even though it is a slim chance) you can still SBF back to FroYo .340 and get rooted GB on it.

4. f250jr

f250jr Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I looked at rooler.com, and his instructions seem to be relatively straightforward.

Bugly, so you are saying I would simply root with the Z4Root process, then upgrade to a rooted GB build? Just trying to understand here. Also, if this is what you're saying, should I go back to a rooted .596 build, or one of the .595 leaks? Thanks!

5. Aggie12

Aggie12 Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    student
    Planet Earth
    f250jr, I would recommend taking a look at this thread here on using your mac to SBF. I have a MBP and can do all I need to do. With GB you can currently root it once on it and root doesn't transfer from .340 (froyo) to GB (.596). The only way to do that is install a pre-rooted build. I would suggest flashing back to .340 using that link that i gave you then root it (with z4root) and bootstrap it (droid 2 bootstrap, yes droid 2 not X). Then you can install the 2 part rooted OTA from this link here.

6. f250jr

f250jr Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011

Awesome man, that makes perfect sense. I'll try that as soon as my droid comes in and Ill let yall know how it goes! Thanks!