1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Where were you when...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kaat72, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Kaat72

Kaat72 Guest

Some days are historical. And sometimes you realize that the moment it happens. 25 Years ago today was like that, for me.
    The Berlin Wall came tumbling down, and for the first time since '61 people living in East and West Berlin were free to travel in Berlin. I was glued to the tv in our living room, recording every news broadcasting on a vhs video tape. I realized this was happening 350 mile from my safe home. People there were about to experience freedom, for the first time.
    View attachment 77097 View attachment 77098 View attachment 77099 View attachment 77100 View attachment 77101 View attachment 77102

This isn't a political thread, this is about recognizing the historical markers. This one, and others.
    Where were you when...?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

I recall watching about it on TV. It seemed so surreal at first like watching some fictional movie. Growing up during the cold war, I didn't expect this to happen.

3. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

That occurred a few months before my birth. But from everything I've heard about it, I am absolutely shocked anytime I meet somebody who thinks that the USSR rule was a good thing.

4. Revenant Ghost

Revenant Ghost Android Expert

I was 8 years old. 'Nuff said.

5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

I was bringing a cat home from the vet when the Challenger exploded.

lunatic59 likes this.
  6. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

i was so surprised.. but I don't remember what I was doing at the time.
    in college at the time.. I was so busy and running in all directions.

it gives me hope that ... Korea might mend its borders .. north and south.

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Berlin Wall ... not one of my strongest memories, probably because my wife was 7 months pregnant with our son in Nov. 1989. :) I do remember being in a photographer's studio (I was a creative director for an Ad Agency then) discussing the demise of the wall while photographing ... hmmm, I think it was some sort of refrigeration equipment.

Other moments that are much stronger in my memory ...

JFK's funeral ... I was watching cartoons which were preempted for live coverage.

MLK's assassination ... I was almost 9 and my dad was the pastor of a church in racially torn Philadelphia. Everybody was sad and nervous.

I remember gathering around our first color TV (It was a 13" RCA portable) and watching the lunar landing ... broadcast in black & white.

There was Nixon's resignation speech. I wasn't very political as a youth (15 at the time) but it was a moment of realizing the the "President" wasn't some omnipotent deity, which was how we were taught to revere the office.

I was driving back from the Jersey shore with a buddy on the PA turnpike when they announced Elvis was dead.

I was in my studio in college when the Phillies won the World Series and John Lennon was shot, both in 1980.

I was in my college apartment watching the news about the attempt on Reagan's life and the false report that James Brady was dead (and all the backpedaling the news agencies did.)

Challenger disaster ... I remember where I was, I just don't remember why I was there.

I was driving home from the airport, after a trip to a client when they announced Kurt Cobain had killed himself. That one hit me pretty hard and I really wasn't a fan. Not sure why.

Columbine ... 9/11 ... let's not go there. :(

Kaat72 likes this.
  8. Kaat72

Kaat72 Guest

We were car tripping in Norway, when Michael Jackson was found dead. They kept playing his songs on the radio that day. I remember feeling surprised I could understand the bad jokes those djs made in Norwegian.

Finnish is a sheer impossible language (to me). During another trip, driving around in Finland for a week felt like complete isolation. The moment we crossed the border up north, to Norway we stopped at a gas station. There was a newspaper pronouncing the death of British Lady Diana. Pics and the headlines were enough.

9. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

I was at a friend's place when I saw the news about Lady Diana.

Swissair 111 crash off Peggy's Cove occurred when I was in my apartment which I just moved into a few months before. It was the first time I was living on my own. This incidnet just enthralled me and my eyes were just glued to the TV.

When the Tianamen Square incident occurred 25 years ago, I recall being on a bus going home and saw a large number of people crossing the street in front of me. When I got home I turned on the news and found out about the demonstration. Not sure of where I was when the army moved in.

9/11: On a cruise for my honeymoon. There was an announcement on the PA. Then I turned on the TV to watch the news. It seemed unreal, like I was watching some movie.

10. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

And who can forget OJ's epic ride on the Freeway? The Mrs. and I were about 20 minutes away from the end of a whodunnit movie when the coverage broke in. Three hours later, we figured they weren't going to resume programming. We never did see the end of the movie. :mad: :(